*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Wet belt - ask the question if buying!

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Wet belt - ask the question if buying!

Postby Connect tdci » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:57 pm

I am currently in the market for a circa 2011-13 connect and, knowing that models form 2008 onwards have the wet timing belt at the bottom of the engine, have been utterly surprised that most people selling them have no idea they exist.

Just been messaging a seller on ebay, yes dusktilldawn2011 that you, who got on his high horse, and quite abusive, telling me I don’t know what I’m talking about and there is no such thing as a ‘wet belt’ and his 2011 Connect has a chain.

Digging a little further, he is selling with the proviso that the van has had a recent belt change, (at 120K) but the bottom belt won’t have been touched as he admitted doing the belt change himself and he doesn’t know it’s there. The van is now on 158K so must surely be on very borrowed time unless the previous owner to him had it done.

This ignorant seller is not the first either. I have lost count of the number of people who own these vans who do not think that theirs has a wet timing belt. I am almost giving up hope of finding one that is either not due or has been done with evidence. I wouldn’t mind if they just said its not been done. I could adjust my bid accordingly and get it done myself.

Considering the damage that is caused by a wet belt going, surely everyone should be specifically asking about it, rather than just relying on being told the timing belt has been changed, which seems to nearly always mean the top one.
Connect tdci

Re: Wet belt - ask the question if buying!

Postby f74nk0 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:41 pm

I know mine got the chain on 2007

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
f74nk0
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Boghopper » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:20 pm

All those vans after 2007 have the elastic band in them. After 150,000 miles they are just waiting to give-up and take the motor with them.Unless anyone can furnish you with solid evidence that it has been done, assume it hasn't, it's as simple as that! The fact he is abusive also suggests it hasn't been changed for the chain. You would have dented his ego just by asking about it. Most people these days are on ego-trips and you can slight them very easily and with completey innocent intentions. Number one: he probably wasn't even aware and he will see it as you highlighting that he's ignorant, which will therefore offend him. Number two: His van won't be quite the dream-machine he thought it was, what with that elastic band rolling around in contaminated engine oil.

Anyway, it will cost you 500.00 quid, even if you do it yourself, as the parts (genuine) are that. So, presume it needs doing and take it into account.
Boghopper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:23 pm

10 years or 120k miles is the service interval on the belt. Surely you should just factor it in if the van has done more?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby bambi mk 1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:36 pm

Mike wrote:10 years or 120k miles is the service interval on the belt. Surely you should just factor it in if the van has done more?

The fooker that designed them should have got 10 years :twisted: I have seen them stripping teeth at less than 50k :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Piglet » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:20 pm

Boghopper wrote:All those vans after 2007 have the elastic band in them. .

Not all, my 08 is chain. but then that's 08 registration year not build year.
Piglet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby bambi mk 1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Piglet wrote:
Boghopper wrote:All those vans after 2007 have the elastic band in them. .

Not all, my 08 is chain. but then that's 08 registration year not build year.

October 07 was the changeover date :wink:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Transit Connect