*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford transit custom 2014 2.2 rattle when accelerating only

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Ford transit custom 2014 2.2 rattle when accelerating only

Postby Hcmg » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 am

Hi all, i need some help with my ford transit custom 2014, 2.2 diesel. I bought it for work a month ago, and already started to make me loose money. I changed a few weeks ago the timing chain kit because it was rattling, and i originally thought that is the noise i am hearing, unfortunately after new timing chain is making exactly the same noise. I tried running the car without power steering pump and water pump, i can still hear it rattling. I also checked injectors, thought they may at fault, they are ok. No errors. The car drives fine, no overheating. If i rev it while parked, no noise, as i said, only when i press the gas pedal, through every gear. In the morning i can see some smoke coming from under the hood, only once in the morning, when i first start it. Water level always the same, engine oil also. I will attach a video, if someone has an idea please let me know, i don't know what else to try, and cannot afford a mechanic right now. Thanks

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-17zzh ... p=drivesdk
Hcmg

Re: Ford transit custom 2014 2.2 rattle when accelerating on

Postby gregd72002 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 am

I do not hear any rattle but perhaps a slight misfiring. Also, it does sound like it is trying to regenerate DPF.
gregd72002
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Hcmg » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. I also notice from time to time that when i try so start it, it would hesitate, it's starting, but then stops for a second, then the engine starts for good. What should i check for misfire? Could be the glow plugs? Also for the DPF, i do not see any increase rpm's that would indicate regeneration. Thanks
Hcmg

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

well the smoke coming from under the hood ..could be injector seals ..and if injector seals are leaking they do make noise.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby gregd72002 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

To check if the van is trying to regenerate DPF - drive to warm up. Change the speedo to show instant consumption (make sure aircon is off). When idling, the instant consumption will show 0.2 gal/h when regenerating and 0.1 gal/h when not regenerating.

To check if the van is suffering from black death - warm it up and while idling open oil cup slightly. See how much smoke is coming out. It should be only very little smoke out.
Do the same test but on dipstick.
gregd72002
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sherwoodcycles » Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:35 pm

Might be worth checking the exhaust manifold is attached properly and not cracked. Also the turbo mounting bolts
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom