*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

340 payload

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

340 payload

Postby richjmaynard » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:13 pm

I'm looking to buy my first Custom. I need it to replace my daily driver which involves 4 longish motorway trips a week. I'll also need it to tow and launch a boat (c. 1000kg) and occasionally carry tools etc for work. I'll probably also pop a mattress in the back for occasional sleepovers.

I'm quite taken with the exAA vans that seem to be around. I'm assuming that they'll be looked after and I like the tailgate for shelter when camping. I also quite like the colour. They do only seem to come in 340 variant though, which I suppose is reasonable for a van that's expected to carry a load of tools and tow a recovered car too.

I guess my question is will the 340 payload mean a horribly bouncy motorway ride when virtually unladen?

Would removing the bulkhead, adding damping and insulating and carpeting the back make for a quiet ride?

Any thoughts?
richjmaynard

Re: 340 payload

Postby cino » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:34 pm

I've had an ex AA 2.0L van for over a year now , and it's a lot less bouncy than my previous 2.2L custom . I carry very little weight ,as I use it for my bike shop business , bikes don't weigh much! I also find that it sits a bit lower at the back ,certainly seems to handle better.
340's also have bigger front brakes and stronger drive shafts , so ideal for towing . Kept the bulkhead in mine , but if you do remove it , it will be really loud without insulation . One more thing , 340's require a type 7 MOT , not the normal type 5, not really an issue just
something you need to know.
cino

Return to Transit Custom