*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Should I fit new clutch etc on 266k engine?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Should I fit new clutch etc on 266k engine?

Postby sherwoodcycles » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:41 pm

I've had a couple of instances of a juddering when pulling away in 1st gear. Similar to what you get when reversing with the transit custom.
2.2 2014 266k.

With such mileage, I was hoping to fit a lower mileage engine into it at some point. Might not happen at the moment.
Would it be completely stupid to spend the money fitting a new clutch (and may as well do dmf etc). I love my van because its green.
But would I be better off doing the work with a lower mileage gearbox at least ? I look after it, recent chain and sprockets etc. Just can't think whats best to do and I need some coercion.
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Should I fit new clutch etc on 266k engine?

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:55 pm

juddering has other causes too ..
Like crankshaft endfloat which because the clutch is mounted to it can start the oscillation ..which is usually related to your foot on the clutch ..it judders once as end float taken up, van lurches..your foot then judders on the pedal and you then get a lot of perpetual judders ...each feeding back to your foot on the pedal.
The other cause can be engine mounts ...but that is mainly cable operated clutches ..engine shakes and pulls on the clutch cable. and then the same happens with foot and pedal as above.
The last cause is oil on the clutch plate from crankshaft seal or gearbox seal

i would leave it as is ..until it gets so annoying that you have to do something about it .

all the best,.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sherwoodcycles » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:32 pm

Really appreciate the feedback. I prefer to do stuff before it goes wrong at an inconvenient time, but it's a lot to do. It had only done it twice until today when turning at a junction.
I do love these vans.
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sherwoodcycles » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:54 pm

I replaced my drivers side engine mount after the bolts came undone and bent, but I'll check the others
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom