*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

H15 DRL / Mainbeam

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

H15 DRL / Mainbeam

Postby aln101tf » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:39 pm

As the subject says, H15 type lamps.
Don't know why they have to make things more complicated, and mess up perfectly good existing arrangements.
One of my first jobs on a new (second hand) vehicle is to fit new bulbs and adjust the headlights, as I drive on rural roads and need to get the best effect possible.
This usually involves "nightbreakers". They don't seem to do an H15 though.
Anyway, the main beams seem to have quite a sharp cutoff to their top edge, and I can't get the main beams high enough to shine into the distance without the dips getting too high.
Anyone else had this problem?
On looking closely at the H15, I notice it has a "dip" type shield on the main filament :shock: . What on earth for?
The whole point in the main filament is to get as much light out in all directions, and make as much use of the reflector as possible.
Why would you blank off 50% of the bulb?
Anyone know of a mod to get something like a H1 into the main reflector?
I notice that LED H15 bulbs have chips all round. Maybe I'll buy one and see if all the segments light on main.
rgds, Alan
Mk6 125/330 swb lr rwd 2.4L remapped.
Mk7 115/330 swb lr rwd 2.4L remapped.
Custom Tourneo swb 125ps 2.2L remapped and gearing lowered to T340.
aln101tf
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: H15 DRL / Mainbeam

Postby aln101tf » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:33 pm

Hmmmm....
Just been reading the owners manual. Last thing you do of course :roll:
It seems to think that the H15 is a DRL / Dip beam, and the H7 in the projector lamp is the Main beam. Well, that would make more sense of the shielded filament, if that's what an H15 is actually supposed to be used for.
But it isn't on a Custom.
Have Ford f**ked up here? Did they have different committees designing the main and dip beams, and both made a Main beam! The reflector certainly doesn't have the necessary shape to produce a dip nearside angle. Maybe the cheapest fix was to fit an internal shield in the projector to produce a dip?
Am I correct in thinking they've reverted to a more normal arrangement in the later facelift model?
Alan
Mk6 125/330 swb lr rwd 2.4L remapped.
Mk7 115/330 swb lr rwd 2.4L remapped.
Custom Tourneo swb 125ps 2.2L remapped and gearing lowered to T340.
aln101tf
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom