*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit van tie down loop query

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Transit van tie down loop query

Postby fenman13 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:15 am

Hi everyone, apologies in advance for my rookie question
I use my Transit Custom to take my son and my Mx bikes to the track, i’ve Just purchased a petrol power washer so I can clean the bikes on the track so I need to secure a large water barrel in the back of the van .
Can I just move the lashing loops from there original position to one of the other holes higher up or would I need to look into an alternative way of securing it?
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks Dan
fenman13

Re: Transit van tie down loop query

Postby Jackanson » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:51 am

We do the same. We have a Risk Racing lock down for the bike and a long thin 200 litre CAK baffled tank for water. Spreads the weight and keeps it low down
Jackanson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:31 am

Jackanson wrote:We do the same. We have a Risk Racing lock down for the bike and a long thin 200 litre CAK baffled tank for water. Spreads the weight and keeps it low down

I think he was asking how you secured it?

OP, if you download the BEMM from Fords etis site, I think it has the loadings for the various threaded mounting points.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby fenman13 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, What i’m After is whether I can move the tie down loops to a higher position in the van
All of the original locations are low down and would not secure the barrel properly
I would like to get myself a purpose built container similar to the one mentioned in the previous post but I just can’t justify it to the boss(wife) just before Xmas
If you or anybody else has any suggestions I would appreciate your input
Thanks again
Dan
fenman13

Postby wild camper » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:38 pm

Thanks Mike, this forum is really useful to get the best out of a Custom
I didn’t know B1 existed, mine must be covered by ply when they boxed in the near side wheel arch
I’m a bit of a Luddite and can’t gain access to ettis using my iPhone and I can’t read the dimensions on your attachment
Could you tell me the distance from “1” to “B1”, and also the height of B1. This would help me keep the butchering of the ply wheelarch to a minimum.
I want to stow the spare wheel on the near side wheelarch to prevent theft, I can now use a 2T ratchet strap from B1 to D1 for restraint forward and aft and a smaller ratchet strap thru the spokes for restraint side to side.
There IS a kit designed specifically to stow the spare because I’ve seen them fitted to Customs going through auction halls.
I’ve asked on this forum for the part number but never had a reply so I’m going to use the ratchet straps instead.
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:04 pm

This is the next page.
Screenshot 2018-11-27 at 18.02.06.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby wild camper » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:05 pm

Hi fenman13
I may be misunderstanding the type/weight/dimensions of water container that you are considering but,
In another life I used to load cargo aircraft for a living
All the tie down points are on the floor
Straps would go over the item , usually diagonally and the aim was that the load would not move even in a crash landing
Water/liquid is a particularly difficult load because it changes the centre of gravity when “cornering “ but the container itself won’t shift if you’ve used enough restraint
I’ve just bought 4x 6mtr 2t ratchet straps off eBay search for https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392096717420
They were £18.99 for qty4 really good quality, good value and although they’re Chinese they came in less than a week
If you got 2 packs for £37:98 ie qty 8 straps using all the D rings in the van, you could turn the van upside down and the load wouldn’t move
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby wild camper » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:14 pm

Thanks Mike for the dimensions
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jackanson » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:31 pm

I only suggested a long low baffled water tank is a better option than an upright barrel - I certainly wouldn't have one and we've done motocross most weekends for years now. Same with ratchets - we used to faff about with them but the Risk Racing lock n load or cheaper 24MX ones are so very simple and way secure - takes around 20 seconds to securely lock the bike down. Just the way we do things. Bob
Jackanson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby fenman13 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:00 am

Hi Bob,

Like yourself we’ve been riding Mx for years and as I mentioned I would prefer your suggestion of a water tank it’s just I can’t afford one at the moment so large water barrel it is until later next year.
I’ve seen lots of guys with barrels in the back of their vans just not guys in customs and because the tie down loops are low I wondered what was the best way to securely strap down the top are of the 200 litre barrel

Regards Dan
fenman13

Postby Jackanson » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:45 pm

Yes fair enough. We certainly paid around £130 for our Cak tank, which is pretty dear when there are competing demands near Christmas.
Jackanson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom