*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

sport bodykit fitting

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

sport bodykit fitting

Postby glenandemm » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:33 pm

has anyone fitted one of the sport kits that are on ebay, just wondered how easy they are to fit and what are the copies like for fitment to body with gaps etc?
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: sport bodykit fitting

Postby loot » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:04 pm

I fitted my kit, I got a grp copy from ebay and fortunately it was painted in the race red like my van :P

My advice is buy the side skirt fitting kit from ebay genuine Ford 75gbp
Buy some 1cm width double sided black foam stuff couple of rolls. 50p each from car shops.
I never bought the front spoiler fitting kit but would have if I knew, maybe 35gbp
2 tubes of tigerseal or pu18.
3m prep wipes they clean but leave a sticky so the foam or pu18 sticks like poop while removing any dirt etc from the grp.
Some 4mm diameter Ford /black rivets.

That's what you need. You also need duct tape or making tape and those plastic grip clip things to hold the kit on to dry.

Mines all on and you can't see any fittings.

I will assume that you'll know how to fit it so I won't go on.

Not yet fitted the rear spats yet though they need bending around a bit so I'm not sure but the rest fitted perfectly
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby glenandemm » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:02 pm

Brilliant thanks for the advice mate, can I ask why use the black foam strips in you can use the bonding stuff like sikaflex or tigerseal etc?
Is there much hole drilling to be done in the body too for the sideskirts etc, i’ll definately search for the fitting kit too pal as I fitted some to my mk7 and they wasn’t great drilling into the edge of the sill with those!
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mic71 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:04 am

There is a video on tube. I will dig it out.
Don't know
How in depth it goes as I didn't watch it all.
I can make the doorbell ring any time I want, all I have to do is go to the toilet.
mic71
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mic71 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:07 am

https://youtu.be/9Z0aN0LwUWA
There is some others.
Search for transit custom body kit and you will see.
I can make the doorbell ring any time I want, all I have to do is go to the toilet.
mic71
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby glenandemm » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:42 pm

thanks lads yeah i seen that video last night when i was googling, looks fairly easy to do if you take your time with each piece.
its only £415 from that company too and looks one of the better kits with the front splitter incorporating the bit that goes up the arch and the sideskirts are complete one pieces rather than some other copy kits ive seen!
https://tradevanaccessories.co.uk/tva-s ... d/#reviews
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:45 pm

glenandemm wrote:Brilliant thanks for the advice mate, can I ask why use the black foam strips in you can use the bonding stuff like sikaflex or tigerseal etc?
Is there much hole drilling to be done in the body too for the sideskirts etc, i’ll definately search for the fitting kit too pal as I fitted some to my mk7 and they wasn’t great drilling into the edge of the sill with those!

I placed the foam strips on the edge that contacts the van completely because it stops sikaflex/pu18 bleeding through, and it leaves a nice clean edge and also where the kit undulates being grand not prefect it bridges the small uneven surface, and it sticks the kit to the body which helps it all to bond.

Just make sure you put a decent bead of sikaflex below the foam so it squashes onto the body correctly.

I did the whole kit this way and like it, there's nothing worse than seeing sealant gloops or wavey sealant lines or gaps, a nice uniform edge looks factory. :D
You need the 3m cleaning wipes though to help the foam stick like glue on both edges.

The sills are easy as the fitting kit holds the sill edge on and the top is foam and sealant then 1 rivet at the front and 1 at the back, then the front end cap sealant and rivet.

I had nothing bar rivet and sealant to do the mk7 skirts and it was God awful. And trying to wipe sealant off bits it shouldn't be on....... :?

That's my way of preferring to do it anyway. 1 man and dad easy (that's with the kit pre painted and fitted with no prep)

Might not matter if it is all being painted on and filler etc.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby glenandemm » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:09 pm

Cheers pal I’m gonna paint them myself off the van than tape right up to the edge with the double sided tape like u say for the cleaner factory look, u don’t have a link to the skirt clips do you as I can’t find them anywhere!
glenandemm
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby loot » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:11 pm

I've spent 20min looking too :? In my loots red custom thread it shows some of the work I did fitting the kit but the link for the fitting kit is now dead.

It might be on eucat or catarrh again I didn't quickly see anything.

The mondeo kit is really found but I doubt we'll fit.

£72 it was for the kit from Ford.
07 350 170ps
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Return to Transit Custom