*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Custom limited manual 130 vs 170ps

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Custom limited manual 130 vs 170ps

Postby Chrisbriton » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:32 am

Hi All,

Recently decided on a custom limited to run my trade business from. I’ve test driven the sport 170ps sport in auto (would would be going for manual) but was impressed, especially after driving a Vw transporter, the extra cost doesn’t warrant the badge fom me , preffered the ford regardless of price . Not had the opportunity to drive a 130ps but been offered a nice deal. Can anyone whose driven both engine sizes comment on the performance differences between the two?
Cheers
Chrisbriton

Re: Custom limited manual 130 vs 170ps

Postby wild camper » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:33 am

TDI Tuning website “before and after “ performance figures for their CRTD4 Tuning Box show “after” figures for the 130ps to be very similar to the stock 170ps
I’ve got a CRTD4 and am very pleased with the extra torque and performance of the 130ps
It can be removed in about 20 minutes if the van has to go to the dealers for warranty work
I don’t know what the price difference is between the 130ps & 170ps Limited van,but I bought my CRTD4 used off eBay, returned it to TDI Tuning for upgrading and new harness specific to the 130ps for about £250 for unit & upgrade (if I remember correctly
A used CRTD4 has a used value on eBay of about £100 unlike Bluefin and a number of other Tuning boxes because the other manufacturers refuse to modify a second hand unit, which makes them have little or no resale value
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chrisbriton » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:56 am

Great advice thank you, it will a lease vehicle, any idea if there will be any trace of this being used after removed?
Chrisbriton

Postby wild camper » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:40 am

There’s no trace of it being there once removed, I’ve got my “box” stuck onto the fuse box lid on the right of the engine bay with strong double sided tape designed for number plates, it’s very secure, no screw holes anywhere
The harness connectors are all the exact same spec. that Ford use . TDI Tuning even supply a few black cable ties to secure the harness, I had a few extra white ones so I used them, I’ll try to attach a photo of the engine bay.
The only difficult bit is replacing the 2 x 10mm bolts that hold the boost pipe in place, I left them off and secured the pipe with large cable ties
Have you considered Bluefin for no trace of fitment, they’re very good at a refund within the 2 weeks trial period , I bought mine through Demon Tweeks, it was impressive increased performance but not the low end torque that I wanted, they refunded with no quibble
I’m very happy with the TDI Tuning CRTD4
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tendring » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:31 am

in answer to your question I’ve had both
2018 130 Ltd manual I had this for three weeks long story but got wrote off as Tractor reversed into it nice van really lacked in lowdown torque on roundabouts where you would normally pull away in second gear you had to go to 1st otherwise it would stall
I paid extra and the replacement it’s a 2018 170 Ltd auto absolutely fantastic would not go back
I have had it about four weeks now and done 2 1/2 thousand miles it’s a pleasure to drive
I tend to drive van more than my own private car
Tendring
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby John Johnson » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:07 pm

Tendring wrote:in answer to your question I’ve had both
2018 130 Ltd manual I had this for three weeks long story but got wrote off as Tractor reversed into it nice van really lacked in lowdown torque on roundabouts where you would normally pull away in second gear you had to go to 1st otherwise it would stall
I paid extra and the replacement it’s a 2018 170 Ltd auto absolutely fantastic would not go back
I have had it about four weeks now and done 2 1/2 thousand miles it’s a pleasure to drive
I tend to drive van more than my own private car

This ^^ I have had the limited in 130 , the sport in 155 and the sport in 170 . The 170 is the best by far . I also had the neighbours vw transporter a few weeks ago which was 35k plus with the spec and I wasn’t bowled over at all
John Johnson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Nederbelg » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:43 pm

You " had the neighbours VW"? :shock: :oops: :mrgreen:

Gr Nederbelg
Nederbelg
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chrisbriton » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:53 pm

wild camper wrote:There’s no trace of it being there once removed, I’ve got my “box” stuck onto the fuse box lid on the right of the engine bay with strong double sided tape designed for number plates, it’s very secure, no screw holes anywhere
The harness connectors are all the exact same spec. that Ford use . TDI Tuning even supply a few black cable ties to secure the harness, I had a few extra white ones so I used them, I’ll try to attach a photo of the engine bay.
The only difficult bit is replacing the 2 x 10mm bolts that hold the boost pipe in place, I left them off and secured the pipe with large cable ties
Have you considered Bluefin for no trace of fitment, they’re very good at a refund within the 2 weeks trial period , I bought mine through Demon Tweeks, it was impressive increased performance but not the low end torque that I wanted, they refunded with no quibble
I’m very happy with the TDI Tuning CRTD4

Thanks all for the comments,
Looks like I have got the 130ps incoming although would of liked a 170 if the deal was right. I’m not too clued up on tuning boxes but would be great to get one of its completely untraceable. Been reading a few posts saying that if a ford service engineer did some digging they could prove there had been a tuning box fitted (even if it’s been removed with no physical trace) is there any truth in that?
The bluefin sounds interesting if it’s easier to fit and more descrete . Will check that out. Thanks
Chrisbriton

Postby wild camper » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:34 am

A Ford service engineer may be able to trace that the vehicle had been REMAPPED ( I doubt that anyone but bother unless they were aggressively disputing a warranty claim.
But there’s no way they could trace that a Tuning Box had been fitted , if it’s been removed , the worst case would be that the dirt on the engine was disturbed.
Go on try a Bluefin from Demon Tweeks for the 14 day trial period, if you like it, keep it or post it back for a cost of about £8
If you try the Bluefin and want more low end torque buy a used CRTD4 off eBay I paid £100 and a further £135:98 to have it reprogrammed and new Triple channel harness
you can buy any CRTD4 from any vehicle, triple channel or double channel, it makes no difference to TDI Tuning, they just make a new triple harness for the Custom
It means theres a wide selection of CRTD4 available at any given time on ebay
Just one minor negative is that the fuel economy gains are not as much as suggested, they use terms like "up to 20%", there is a small improvement, perhaps I use up the gains by using the increased performance (Ive had 2 speeding tickets recently)
wild camper
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Marky M » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:33 pm

I recommend buy the 13PS and remap the ford. Here in holland there is a compagny (unlimetid tuning) and they can remap your van voor €399. Both engines (130 and 170) get after remapping 190 PS and 480 Nm!
Ford Transit Custom Sport 2018
* L2H1
* Chrome blue and stripes
* Customised for wheelchair accessibility/driving
* 20" Bola B20 Black polished
* K&N insert filter
* Led lights
https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=189567
Marky M
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom