*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

High level brake light

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

High level brake light

Postby bobtol » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:44 am

I am in the middle of converting my ford transit custom. I have just insulated and carpeted the walls ceiling and back doors. After doing all this I have noticed neither high level brake lights are working. I don’t know if this is just coincidence or if I have managed to unplug a wiring on both sides. Does anyone know where I can get the wiring diagram for the high level brake lights or can anyone suggest a way of checking. Thanks

Bob.t
Bob. T :)
bobtol
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: High level brake light

Postby sieade245 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:14 pm

Do you have the LED clusters or the (pre-2016?) bulb ones.

If its the bulb ones, they may already have been out. There's a lot of vibration when the doors are closed and there's no warning on the instrument cluster if you lose one. One of mine had blown and I only found out when my mate followed me home and let me know.

Easy to check. Wedge brake pedal down with something. Remove the red exterior cover by levering the two clips from the inside of each door at the top (behind some black rubber covers). Use a multimeter to check voltage at the bulb holder OR simply replace the bulb with a known working one/ new one.

The LED units are £50 each but I doubt vibration would take them out, more likely wiring in that case but you can check by doing the same as above and check voltage at the connector plugs.
sieade245
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: High level brake light

Postby G of Africa » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:07 am

Thanks for the headsup on how to check and replace.
I know mine has stopped working.

I have noticed quite a few with the hi level break light thats not working.
Must be a common fault with Ford.
G of Africa

Return to Transit Custom