*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Custom sport 2018 reverse camera retrofit

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Custom sport 2018 reverse camera retrofit

Postby q-man » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:10 pm

Hello. Just bought custom sport and I forgot to tick reverse camera option. Ford finland told that it is impossible to retrofit camera. Anyone any experience about that. I looked wiring and just two wires in connector at license plate light cover, but there was more wires in connector behind wall panel. Just dont want any aftermarket screen in new car. 8" screen with sync3.

Just cant believe it could be impossible.
q-man

Re: Custom sport 2018 reverse camera retrofit

Postby jinx » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:12 pm

Hello get the retrofit with the Smart mirror . I had it done and its great :D
jinx
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jackanson » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:20 pm

The Sport comes with a reversing camera as standard (only model in the range to do so). We have a new Sport with the Sync 3 + camera. Worth having. Amended -just saw Finland, maybe different specs as standard.
Jackanson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Trasher83 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 pm

Nope, the sport has the cam as standard in Finland too. Ordered a sport, and just added adaptive cruise and navpackage and I have the cam

Edit: I needed the upgraded audiopack too, since I chose the acc/nav so maybe the cam is part of that?
Trasher83
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jackanson » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:32 pm

We got quite a few options fitted including adaptive cruise control, BLIS etc etc (not sat nav) However our UK Ford brochure definitely shows the camera as standard on the Sport and ours has one.
Jackanson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby q-man » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:07 am

There wasnt standard camera on sport in finland. Ordered car in july and received it couple weeks ago. Camera was in some package with satnav etc, but mine came without nav. 8" screen was standard on sport. For me best audio was standard on sport and added adaptive cruise too.

But found way to have it. It needs aftermarket cam, apim-rca cable, rca cable from camera to glovebox and forscan programmming. Ford told me that it isnt possible to retrofit camera, but internet is wonderfull piece of kit :) It could work with all oem hardware and I believe there is cabling in back, but price is ofcourse high and I think camera mounted above doors is better.
q-man

Postby Jackanson » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:41 pm

The Nav is an expensive option but no problem to connect google maps via your phone on to that big screen!
Jackanson
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanvliet » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:58 pm

Did you consider a wireless reversing camera kit?
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby vanvliet » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:24 pm

q-man wrote:There wasnt standard camera on sport in finland. Ordered car in july and received it couple weeks ago. Camera was in some package with satnav etc, but mine came without nav. 8" screen was standard on sport. For me best audio was standard on sport and added adaptive cruise too.

But found way to have it. It needs aftermarket cam, apim-rca cable, rca cable from camera to glovebox and forscan programmming. Ford told me that it isnt possible to retrofit camera, but internet is wonderfull piece of kit :) It could work with all oem hardware and I believe there is cabling in back, but price is ofcourse high and I think camera mounted above doors is better.

Which kit did you fit and how did you go about it?
Geoff
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby davemfox » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:45 pm

vanvliet wrote:
q-man wrote:There wasnt standard camera on sport in finland. Ordered car in july and received it couple weeks ago. Camera was in some package with satnav etc, but mine came without nav. 8" screen was standard on sport. For me best audio was standard on sport and added adaptive cruise too.

Which kit did you fit and how did you go about it?
Geoff

+1

Dave
2019 Transit Custom - DCIV, 170BHP, L2
1993 YZF 750SP
davemfox
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby seagypsy1407u » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:16 am

I fitted one of the retro kits that works with the sync 3 ,its simples. :D Ill upload the pictures later today,
seagypsy1407u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanvliet » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:05 pm

Can you also please list details of the kit and where you bought it
Ta
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seagypsy1407u » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:54 pm

This is the kit that i bought from

Empirical In-Car Technology
http://www.in-car-install.co.uk

Ford Transit Custom - Reversing Reverse Camera Kit ( 2018 Onwards )
£299.99

Below is the youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HPujy4IeXY

Had it about 2 months the kit came well packaged, with all the instruction on a Memory stick,havent sent back the OBD yet you get £40.00 i think if you return it.
If anyone in kent needs there sync 3 switched ill do it for a few beers :roll:

Below are in the instructions really easy to fit even i managed it :D great picture quaility, only problem i found its a bit tight to get under my rear spoiler, i just went around the edge with some grey ct1

Start by using the OBD programmer to code the vehicle. Turn the ignition on fully but do not start the engine and wait for the radio to fully boot up to its normal screen. Insert the Blue OBD programmer supplied into the OBD Port at the driver’s side. The radio screen will then go blank and restart, wait until the radio has fully restarted and shows the normal radio screen, during this time the programmer will 'Beep' at a rate of 1 beep per second. Switch the ignition off and remove the programmer then close the car door and lock the vehicle - wait 30 seconds, then unlock the vehicle and start the engine. Once the radio has booted up, then select reverse gear and if the programming has been successful the screen will now change to a blue screen - if the screen does not change - repeat the programming process. Once programmed you will no longer need the blue programmer again and you are welcome to return it to us using the return form provided.
Open the glovebox and press in the two tabs so it can drop forwards. Looking up you will see the bracket holding the sync unit. Remove the two 10mm nuts and drop the unit down. Unplug the wiring and fit the new T harness loom provided to the original loom and to the sync unit, then refit the unit.
Remove the A pillar trim and run the cable up. Pull down the door rubber and using a suitable pull through cord run the camera cable into the rear van section. Remove 1 x T20 torx screw and unclip the plastic wiring loom guard trim to reveal the cable route to above the wheel arch. Remove the wheel arch trim and the rear door trim. Unclip the rear door wiring grommets and again using a pull through cord, run it through from the door side to the van side. Now double up the last metre of cable and tape it to the pull through cord as it is easier to pull the camera plug through the rubber backwards. Coat the cable and plug in spray silicone, Hand sanitiser or even some washing up liquid to make the cable and plug slide through.
Remove the two grommets on the upper rear door and press in the clips to release the original brake lamp. Using the pull through cord routed from the
brake light location down into the rear door bring the camera plug up. Connect the camera and brake light plug to the new camera lamp, bring the excess camera cable back down into the rear door and secure any excess cable.
Start the car, select reverse gear and test the camera. You also have the option to have the camera set to delay so that the picture will stay on the display until the car reaches 10mph. to select this option its: Settings-Vehicle-Camera Settings-Set Delay.
seagypsy1407u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanvliet » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:46 pm

Brilliant :D Thank you
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby davemfox » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:35 pm

That's excellent - thank you.

Just one thing from their website though, is the actual image on the Sync3 flipped, or can you set it up so that it shows it the right way?

Dave
2019 Transit Custom - DCIV, 170BHP, L2
1993 YZF 750SP
davemfox
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Transit Custom