*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit custom 155ps regenerating

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Transit custom 155ps regenerating

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:40 pm

clemmy wrote:Sorry, I'm lost with the translation. What's the "windscreen"? The big front glass?

Yeah the screen that stops the wind coming in.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby clemmy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:44 pm

Ok great! Then I'll think a way to add a small led to this circuit, and try to see if it lights up during regens. I'll report here if I have any result.

I guess the easiest point to intercept the heater circuit is at its fuse, but if anyone has a better idea please suggest ;-)
clemmy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:47 pm

clemmy wrote:Thanks for the replies.

By default, I think nothing blinks on the Custom.

I found out on the Italian Ford forum that on some cars the heating of side mirrors is automatically activeted during regens. The stock light of the heating button on the dash does not light, but they could easilly wire a led to one mirror, and got a working regen indicator. It's reported to be working on some Focus, but unfortunately does not work on ALL of them

Probably doesnt work on the petrol models :lol: :lol: :lol:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:12 pm

:mrgreen:
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby clemmy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:51 am

Mike wrote:Heated windscreen comes on when the Custom does a regen.

clemmy wrote:Ok great! Then I'll think a way to add a small led to this circuit, and try to see if it lights up during regens. I'll report here if I have any result.

I guess the easiest point to intercept the heater circuit is at its fuse, but if anyone has a better idea please suggest ;-)

Several months after .. Yesterday I fitted a small LED in parallel to the heated windscreen.

I did not wire the LED to the fuse, but directly to the windscreen connectors. It was a very easy job.

I removed the A pillar plastic trim (pull strongly, 3 clips will detach, then slide upward).

Locate the +12 feed to the windscreen, in the uppermost part of the pillar.

Connected a 550 ohm resistor to the original faston connector, then connected a led to the other side of the resistor.

Connected a wire from the negative pole of the led and run it down the pillar. Then connected to a ground point (there are a couple of them in the bottom part of the pillar).

Now I need to drive the van more, in order to see if it comes up with regens. Did only a small trip yesterday night, but no regens.
clemmy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby clemmy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:06 pm

No replies so probably nobody cares, but I'm leaving a comment just the same for any future reader who might be interested.

After few hundred km and several regens, my LED never came up. The LED itself works, connections are good, but the heated windscreen does not get any current while regens are ongoing (at least on my Tourneo 2017 170hp automatic).

Now I'm building a small circuit with an Arduino board and an obd shield. I'll report if I can make it work.
clemmy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:53 pm

It’s a bit of a bad ford setup that the van doesn’t tell you it’s doing a regen at lest you will be ok with your setup good idea m8
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby S60r » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:08 am

Hope you find a place to connect to. I would definitely be adding an indicator and copying you if you suss it out!

Always said they should have one, it would solve a lot of the oil change/contamination warnings too.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Altransit » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:50 pm

clemmy wrote:No replies so probably nobody cares, but I'm leaving a comment just the same for any future reader who might be interested.

We're interested, we're just watching and waiting for your solution :mrgreen:

clemmy wrote:After few hundred km and several regens, my LED never came up. The LED itself works, connections are good, but the heated windscreen does not get any current while regens are ongoing (at least on my Tourneo 2017 170hp automatic).

Now I'm building a small circuit with an Arduino board and an obd shield. I'll report if I can make it work.

Is it possible that the screen isn't getting any power because of a blown fuse, or relay, maybe :?: It's hard to tell if it's working in warmer weather :?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby chooseatransit » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:08 pm

does the led light up when you turn the heated screen on?
I have wired my led to the heated screen fuse and its lighting up when it regenerating and also when i put the screen on had no problems. mine is 2015 euro 5 tho?
chooseatransit
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby clemmy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Sparse notes and progress report:
* My heated windscreen works if manually activated with the button on the dash. And the LED I've added turns on when the heated windscreen is active
* However, my Tourneo is Euro6, so that's likely the explanation of the different behavior during a regen, with respect to choseatransit's experience

I've build a small circuit using and Arduino board (1) + a SparkFun OBD UART shield (2) + a small oled display (3). I connected the shield to the OBD port under the dash I wrote a short software to print some obd parameters on the display. Ideally, every parameter usually accessible via ForScan can be accessed and printed through my circuit, but it takes time to write the code because I'm not professional programmer.

So far I'm printing the distance (km) that I drove since last regen (DIST_LAST_DPF) and the actual DPF_LOAD (%). It works.

Next in my to do list:
I've identified two additional ForScan parameters which I think will tell if a regen is ongoing. They are called DPF_REGEN and DPF_REGEN_STAT and when I query them with Forscan are reported as 'Inactive' and 'Off', respectively. As soon as I have some spare time, I'll update my code in order to monitor these two parameters. Hopefully they will change when a regen is ongoing.

I'll share my code on GitHub as soon as I make some more progress. But if anybody here is good at programming, I'm more than happy to share current early version immediately.

Links to products I'm using:
1) https://store.arduino.cc/arduino-uno-rev3
2) https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9555
3) https://www.az-delivery.de/products/0-96zolldisplay

Additional notes:
* The display is _very_ small. If I get everything working, I might change it for a larger one, or add a small red LED to signal ongoing regens
* The Arduino UNO board (~20€) can be replaced by a NANO board (~10€), which is smaller (and cheaper)
* The SparkFun OBD shield is quite expensive (~60€), but was already tested on Ford vehicles. There are a couple of cheaper alternatives which might be tested, one from the same manufacturer, the other one from SeedStudio
clemmy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Transit Custom