*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

For how long lighter charger stay on after locking car

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: For how long lighter charger stay on after locking car

Postby Camper steve » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi All

quick question
if the lighter socket switches itself off after a time when the ignition is switched off, am i right in thinking if you have one of those solar charger panels plugged into your cigarette lighter its not going to trickle charge your battery when the socket switches off. :(
Camper steve
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby yasser » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:13 pm

I would presume not as they are powered through a relay I think
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby stehanson » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:23 pm

Yasser for reference which wires coming into the orange block connector are positive and negative...
I'm assuming the purple / grey wire is + whereas the black / blue is -
But don't want to guess incase it causes a short if I'm wrong!
stehanson
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Veki007 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:53 pm

stehanson wrote:Yasser for reference which wires coming into the orange block connector are positive and negative...
I'm assuming the purple / grey wire is + whereas the black / blue is -
But don't want to guess incase it causes a short if I'm wrong!

+ gonna be purple (center of the lighter)
Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby stehanson » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:06 pm

Thanks veki for the clarification, thought I was right but didn't want to risk it!
stehanson
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Veki007 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:30 pm

stehanson wrote:Thanks veki for the clarification, thought I was right but didn't want to risk it!

No problem mate!Is better to make sure than blow fuse.
Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby yasser » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Veki is correct but if you just remember to assemble the connectors in he same way for each one you shouldn't have a problem and if you do blow a fuse, its number 49 under the steering wheel and its a j case fuse about £2 from your dealer.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby stehanson » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:26 am

Well I knocked the cables up yesterday evening, almost a yasser suggested, but Iv'e done it so the new lead stays under the tray rather than one of them running up the screen due to the fact the hardwire kit has a long lead on with a small box inline which would have been impossible to conceal in headlining area, so that will run down under the tray void and connect to the new lead, same as any other kit that is wired into the spare lead I created, so far so good, connected part of it up it up and it works.... however a slight problem trying to connect the lead up in the cab tonight

As I want to feed the lead from the hardwire kit from under the tray out the corner of the dash and up the A pillar it means unclipping the A pillar trim, passenger side comes off by pulling on it, drivers side seems pinned by a metal clip that wont relase from the A pillar fully, I put a fair amount of pressure on including pushing the notch in to no avail, it was dark when doing it and maybe it just needs pulling harder, but as the plastic was flexing I didnt want to snap something incase there was something \I couldn't see under the torchlight

Is there a trick to this, or has mine just stuck and needs more pulling?

Cheers
stehanson
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby yasser » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:03 am

If I remember correctly, you get a flat screw driver and push on the bit closest to the hole in the pillar. This is not to force it out but to close the clip as I think it expands to stay in. If you send me a message with your number i'll talk you through it.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby stehanson » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:38 am

yasser wrote:If I remember correctly, you get a flat screw driver and push on the bit closest to the hole in the pillar. This is not to force it out but to close the clip as I think it expands to stay in. If you send me a message with your number i'll talk you through it.

Hi Yasser,
Defiantly need further help removing this damn trim spent half an hour on my dinner playing around with screwdrivers all to no avail, I have now pulled the trim further out and can see the part of the clip that locks it into the hole,

However pushing on the edge of that area seems to have the opposite effect and appears to push it wider open inside the body
Im not certain I am pushing on the correct piece, but have tried the area I pictured above and now the two areas further in but still the clip wont shift through.

I would send my no for a live talk through but I would need to be free at the time and the chance of that atm with work as it is, is slim, hence only tryin again on my dinner today (ten days on)

Any ideas? ill do a new thread and see if anyone else can give me a clue - ill soon be breaking out the crowbar at this rate :oops:
stehanson
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby loot » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:17 am

Instead of the middle going flat it looks like it has bent wider and is digging in :-( you need to get between the metal and plastic and flare it out so that it let's go of the plastic so you can remove the trim, if you can't do that then brute force may be the only way which will no doubt break some of the plastic.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby thedugmaster » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:29 pm

I fitted my Dash Cam this morning. Mounted it just to left of the rear view mirror and tucked all of the cable nicely under the front on the headlining, down the A post trim and up under the facia but brought the USB end up the side of the tray so I can manually disconnect it if I want.

Got to say, loving how easily these things are to work on. Lots of big, easy to pull off trim, unlike the fiddly stuff I'm used to in cars.
thedugmaster
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mr Juggles » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:04 am

Guys......There's one easy solution for all of this, and its a simple bit of kit.

I recently bought a Blackvue 650. Sits discreetly under the cover of the rear view mirror cover. Wanted something small, that can be left in, and mostly unnoticed. It has the options of full time recording, Park mode and all, but with the same issue as the OP, the power turns off after 30 mins......Not no more....Job done......Simples.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-BlackVue- ... +magic+pro

This little unit will work with any dash cam, not just Blackvue, and they do a normal hardwire version if required.
Once set up on the dip switches, it will not let you drain your battery, and you can set it to cut off at given times.
Its a couple of hours install, if that, and solves all these issues. Read the reviews on amazon, and to makes it really easy, watch the install videos on YouTube. Job done!!! ;)

Joe.
Mr Juggles
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby C8XY » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:50 pm

Hi Joe,

You don't even need to spend that kind of money, all you need is the 12v socket and these dashcams stay on just fine with no battery issues.
I have RoadHawk cameras in my vans (much better than blackvue imo) and they just record constantly.
C8XY
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby NItranny;-) » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:20 pm

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=156504 i done this last year. it's just live with key. wire is up the pillar and a plastic knofe just edged out the rood cardboard to put the camera cable along the top of the screen to the mirror.
it's running nearly a year, faultless. the tip end for the connection, it a leg of a fuse, cut and soldered.
20 mins to do.
i'v a 3 gang cigarette adaptor and power the sat nav of it too.
NItranny;-)
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom