*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

For how long lighter charger stay on after locking car

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: For how long lighter charger stay on after locking car

Postby Veki007 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:16 pm

yasser wrote:
Veki007 wrote:Connection done let's see if is gonna go off.
Thank for all your help guy's.

Don't forget, don't unlock to look otherwise you'll turn it on

yes i know i did twice today :roll: :roll: but otherwise works like a charm.I would advise anybody to connect there.
Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Marcob » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:32 am

Waterman wrote:Transcend 16GB DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder with Built-In Wi-Fi £82 from Amazon

Highly recommended

Ta Andy

+1
I plugged mine into the power point behind the steering wheel. It doesn't come on when I unlock the van. It comes on as soon as I open the door.
Black 290 L2H1 125 PS Limited
The Ford Transit Custom - saving the environment by not actually going anywhere.
Zero emissions for 4 months and counting.....
Marcob
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Veki007 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:02 am

Marcob wrote:
Waterman wrote:Transcend 16GB DrivePro 200 Car Video Recorder with Built-In Wi-Fi £82 from Amazon

Highly recommended

Ta Andy

+1
I plugged mine into the power point behind the steering wheel. It doesn't come on when I unlock the van. It comes on as soon as I open the door.

you see I never actually checked properly I know that when I open the door can hear camera starting but was it when I unlocked That I can not confirm but will check and report back.
Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby davev6newman » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:23 am

What make is your dash cam? I'm. After buying one but don't want to buy a rubbish one.
davev6newman
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby cartech » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:40 am

I recently bought a hd dash cam. Brilluant video quality and only cost 20 quid ÷ sd card.
cartech
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Veki007 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:44 am

davev6newman wrote:What make is your dash cam? I'm. After buying one but don't want to buy a rubbish one.

My is a Blackvue
Veki007
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby stehanson » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:50 pm

yasser wrote:
Veki007 wrote:
yasser wrote:The simplest way to hard wire a dash cam is from the back of the 12v socket in the storage box. If you undo the 2 screws the tray will left out giving you access to the socket. This is connected to a normal t-plug connector and you can easily take your feed from here. You can either route you cable up the door pillar and roof linning and come out at the rear view mirror or out along the bottom of the screen. It all depends where you put your cam. This also allows your cam to carry on running 20-30 mins after locking. Cam also starts up again when you unlock.

Man i could kiss you now :wink: :mrgreen: just to confirm those two wires at back of lighter are positive and negative so I can connect directly?

don't connect to the back of the 12V socket but follow the wires from there to the connector, there is about 9-12 inches of loose cable, you can make connections here. The !2v socket is for accessories like satnavs and the like so its fused accordingly so it should sort you out just right.

Yasser - is there any reason not to wire into the connector (orange) on the back of the powerpoint seems much more accessible and having followed them the wire you mention down it merges into a main loom on mine than onto a large grey connection block with many wires coming in- see pics below, the first connector seems to have more room to add wires.

Is it ok to leave the power point connected so it can still be used and just add the wires into either connector so both can be used together (low draw) or is this a bad idea?

stehanson
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby yasser » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:16 am

stehanson wrote:Yasser - is there any reason not to wire into the connector (orange) on the back of the powerpoint seems much more accessible and having followed them the wire you mention down it merges into a main loom on mine than onto a large grey connection block with many wires coming in- see pics below, the first connector seems to have more room to add wires.

it is the orange one you want there (I did put in another post somewhere that I was thinking about something else when I said follow it). pull that plug off and then put your new connector into it. with one set of wires going to your dashcam/hardwire kit and another set to a new connector and back onto the 12v socket. This way, if you sell the vehicle you can pull everything off and put it back as it was. The accessory you put on is fused on the 12v socket fuse.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby stehanson » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Thanks for the clarification yasser!
To save me time hunting does the connector I need have a specific name or specific description that either my local motor factors will know or halfrauds....
Trying to describe that one would be interesting with me having no knowledge of vehicle electrical l connections!
Cheers
stehanson
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby yasser » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:18 pm

stehanson wrote:Thanks for the clarification yasser!
To save me time hunting does the connector I need have a specific name or specific description that either my local motor factors will know or halfrauds....
Trying to describe that one would be interesting with me having no knowledge of vehicle electrical l connections!
Cheers

I just went into an auto electrician and got a connector. the connector itself is an offset T shape but I got a standard T shape and it did fit but if you cant find this you should be able to use single connectors. try looking at this, 3rd one down and click on pic.

http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/p ... category/7
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Hayesy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:11 pm

Are there any dashcams available whereby it could just be plugged into rather than hard wired in? or would these need manually turning on and off? I need to get one as using the van everyday and in and out so would like one that automatically comes on when I start van and I don't have to keep messing with it, but I do not know my way around the electronics so wouldn't really like to mess about with these?
Hayesy

Postby yasser » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:17 pm

there are plenty, most in fact. I think most people want them hard wired so they can fit, forget and hide the wires.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby stehanson » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:29 am

Right I need some help with this setup.... its simple but confusing :oops:

Having had a few spare mins available during day light I opened up the top tray to look at the wiring again (cams been on cigarette lead temporarily since last posting and the loose wire down edge of screen is annoying me too much now)

Anyway I am now totally confused as how to connect the hardwire kit to the cigarette socket lead so need advice, the local auto electricians gave me the following (2 connectors and 4 terminals (2 of each - one is in the connector to see how it went in) but not sure I need them all? - the 2 wires you can see are from the hardwire kit (the black spade needs cutting off)

Im not sure if the orange plug is to be removed and replaced as I can't see how the connectors I got can fit on otherwise? as it seems loose but maybe it wont be when the terminals interconnect?

Im guessing the orange plug should be replaced with the small white one (using the original pins on the lead) then the other spades inserting into the larger connector with the two wires from the hardwire kit being crimped to these spade terminals to allow the two to connect up!

Any help :roll: appreciated
stehanson
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby yasser » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:18 am

You have the right connector at least. I would have got 3 pairs of those connectors with their metal pins and use the same size cable that is already attached to the orange connector. The first connector you need to wire up is a male and you want 2 sets of cable coming out of it. 1 end to be about 2m long and the other about 40cm, wire up a female connector on the short end. The long end can now be threaded up the door pillar across the roof lining to the centre roof console and then trim excess. Then I put 2 connectors on this end the same way you did the other end but use 2 female connectors and these can be close together(15-20cm ish).

Now back to the first end. disconnect the orange connector from the back of the power socket and plug into male connector, the connect short wire to back of power socket. There is not enough room under the tray for all the wires when it is replaced so cable tie the excess up on the orange end and just run the short end to the back.

You can now wire up you hard wire kit to a new male connector and this can be plugged into one of the top female connectors. The other female connector is there just in case you need power for something else at a later date and something you don't have to do.

Don't forget that a connector is male or female depending on the metal insert not the plastic. so the male connector has the spade insert.

20151102_160939.jpg

Hope this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby stehanson » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:11 pm

Thanks for that info Yasser - i'll nip the auto electricians on sat morning and have a play about!
stehanson
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom