*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2019 sliding door not opening

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

2019 sliding door not opening

Postby Johnboyy » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:11 pm

Hi,

I've just bought a 2019 limited with twin sliders and the passenger side one doesnt open.

It opened the first time I tried it, but not since.

when I lock or unlock I can hear and feel the lock doing "something"

It doesnt open from inside or out.

I've tried leaning against the lock outside while locking/unlocking, deadlocking it, holding the lock/unlock buttons until the indicators flash and nothing seems to have had an effect.

The lock doesnt appear to be original either as it's got a manufacturing date in 2021.

Also, is this an afternarket lock protector, or is it factory?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnboyy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 2019 sliding door not opening

Postby Johnboyy » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:59 am

Any suggestions folks?

beyond liberally squiting WD40 in the general area from all directions and trying it with engine running in case it was a voltage issue, or pushing against the door in case it was a pressure issue I'm a bit stumped as to what to do next.

Would love a parts book but 7zap doesnt seem to have any details when I navigate into it.

https://ford.7zap.com/en/transport/134/no/2514/

Is there a better site?
Johnboyy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Johnboyy » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:59 am

Removed the door rubber and tried using a hook on the latch to see if I could pop it while someone else was working the outside handle but to no effect.

Only positive of that job was that it showed what access I have to the strike plate.

I'm gonna ring the local dealers and see if they can offer any advice but if not I'm thinking cut the loop on the striker plate and that should allow the door to be pushed out a bit further which in turn should allow access to the bolts to remove the striker plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Johnboyy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Johnboyy » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:28 am

Not taken the nuclear option yet.

Got the security cover off the lock, I can now actuate the outside handle lever from inside but it makes no difference.

It's like the central locking actuator is disconnected inside the lock housing. It's making all the right noises but doing nothing.

Is there any way of unlocking manually? Do tourneos have a manual lock/unlock in them that I could somehow operate on the lock?
Johnboyy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby TallPaul » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:27 pm

My side door switch for the internal lights seems to occasionally play up, causing the central locking to fail on the SLD. If my SLD wont unlock, I have to climb inside and I can then open the "locked" door from the inside handle- I take it you've tried all that?
Have you tried the latch where the cable goes with the small red plastic on it, I'm amazed that now you're right inside the door mechanism, you cant manually move one of the latches to open it. I'd maybe disconnect the cables to the latch, might be a fault in the central locking making the lock stay deadlocked?
TallPaul
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Johnboyy » Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:39 am

TallPaul wrote:My side door switch for the internal lights seems to occasionally play up, causing the central locking to fail on the SLD. If my SLD wont unlock, I have to climb inside and I can then open the "locked" door from the inside handle- I take it you've tried all that?
Have you tried the latch where the cable goes with the small red plastic on it, I'm amazed that now you're right inside the door mechanism, you cant manually move one of the latches to open it. I'd maybe disconnect the cables to the latch, might be a fault in the central locking making the lock stay deadlocked?

Yeah I can pull down on the arm of the lock itself and its moving fine. The problem is it's not unlocking.

I'm thinking it must be broken inside the latch. If I had to guess I'd say whatever links the locking solenoid to the lock part of the latch is broken or has stripped teeth or something.
Johnboyy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Johnboyy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:59 am

Does anyone have access to wiring diagrams?

I eventually got my door open by brute force and ignorance. I replaced my lock and the striker and the door locked but would only unlock by the inside handle. Then after two or three goes it is back to square one, not unlocking.

I took apart the old latch out of curiousity and there was nothing visbly wrong inside (and my god it's a complicated thing)

I've done some frigging around with a tester and it looks to me like one of the wires is not getting signal. There's two motors and it looks to me like the locking involves one motor, but the unlocking involves both. or double locking involves the second one, or something.

But basically I have three wires going into the latch and only one gets a signal. On the other door (twin sliders) I get signal on two wires.

I think my problem is with the sprung contactor in the door jamb, but to get at that I have to open the door and I'd rather not mangle another lock and striker opening it the same way as before.

I've tried spraying contact cleaner in the gap and wriggling it from behind but it's not helping

So I need to wire the passenger slider from the drivers slider, but the pinout on the plug is not the same so I can't just map it straigh across. and the wires are all just black so that's no help. If someone could get me the wiring diagrams for the two sliding door looms then I could sort it I'm sure to get the door open.

I don't want to randomly start connecting wires as I'm assuming the BCM would not like that.
Johnboyy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:33 pm

Before you get too brutal, have you tried a knee and shoulder pressed firmly to the rear of the door, whilst unlocking it from a fully locked state :?: (It doesn't work if you've already tried to unlock!)

My Mk7 has done this for ages, but always unlocks with the above method :)

I think the problem is with the deadlock, which is why it won't open from the inside :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Johnboyy » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:30 pm

Altransit wrote:Before you get too brutal, have you tried a knee and shoulder pressed firmly to the rear of the door, whilst unlocking it from a fully locked state :?: (It doesn't work if you've already tried to unlock!)

My Mk7 has done this for ages, but always unlocks with the above method :)

I think the problem is with the deadlock, which is why it won't open from the inside :mrgreen:

Ehhh, how do you define brutal? :shock:

cut it, then beat seven shades out of it with various chisels and bars which gave me access to the arm in the latch which I then broke to open the door.

I'm pretty certain now it's an electrical problem so just need a diagram to move on with the job
Johnboyy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Johnboyy » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:27 am

Ugh.

Called into the dealership today and got some help in the form of wiring diagrams and not being told my idea was stupid

Because I have twin sliders I should be able to open one door using the wiring from the other door. Just need to know the pin outs so I don't fry the BCM.

Pulled the loom fully out of the left door and half way out of the right door. Confirmed my wiring and taped the right lock plug to the left contactor plug and joined them up.

Checked out with the test light and I'm now getting power on two of the pins as I should be.

No different, dammed thing still won't unlock
Johnboyy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Custom