*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Tourneo custom Auto Gearbox issue (or not)...

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Transit Tourneo custom Auto Gearbox issue (or not)...

Postby Gregsfordissue » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:24 pm

Long story (sorry). I have a 2017 Tourneo Custom 310 Ti Tdci A. Mini bus. 168 BHP with an Auto box (6 speed I think). Having a nightmare getting to the bottom of this issue. It's been to two garages, more recently 4 or 5 visits to local ford dealer who seem incapable of establishing and fixing the issue. About 5 months ago, I noticed an increase in revs (and accompanying increase in engine noise) - about 400 revs for a second or two before dropping back again. Most noticeable going up a hill at a steady speed at between 2000 - 2500 revs. The increase in revs occurred every 10 seconds. It was not going at a speed or in a way where I would expect a gear change (up or down). Once on the flat, or cruising, there was no such issue. Looking back, the gear changes have always been a bit "lumpy" and probably got gradually worse to now. It will labour going up a hill at low revs (not wanting to change down and needs a sturdy press down to get it to change rather than doing it willingly). When the vehicle is pushed hard, the changes are messy, with the revs often jumping 400/500 before dropping down correctly. New fuel injectors were diagnosed, but suffice to say made no difference to anything. The only thing that made a difference was the fitting of a "pig" as it was described to me as part of solving a windscreen wiper issue. For one short 12 mile journey following this, I thought the problem was resolved. Gearchanges happened smoothly (more smoothly than I could ever remember) and there was only a tiny flicker of increase in revs in the conditions I mention above. However, the next morning, it was back to "normal". However, had I not experienced this brief period of "Nice driving" I would have been convinced that it was purely a gearbox issue. There were earlier electronic issues with all sorts of problems being reported, but they have now largely disappeared, although things like start / stop still have mind of their own. The gearbox oil / filter which it has been suggested to me as a starting point has not been changed....any ideas please ?
Gregsfordissue

Re: Transit Tourneo custom Auto Gearbox issue (or not)...

Postby CRM » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:13 am

see my post about the auto box and issues i have with a 21 plate sport.
in short get the oil replaced in the box as a starting point.
CRM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby 4SixAuto » Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:39 pm

I know this post is several years old but did you ever rectify this fault? My van does the exact same and after having diagnostics by 3 different garages we are still none the wiser. Ford have been useless and now want to take it apart with no indication of cost or what could be wrong, may as well hand them a bank card and pray! Van often slips like crazy if moving from a slow speed up an incline or if at a constant speed up an incline the revs jump periodically every 10 secs or so as you seem to have experienced. The van used to drive so well and now I am starting to loath owning it, it's no longer smooth, uses way more fuel than it used too, more frequently having 'hard' gear changes and blips the revs up hills or won't change down gears. It had the box oil done within the last few months and drove great for a day before returning to it's usual sloppy feel.
4SixAuto

Postby woodstock » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:13 pm

mine does exactly the same, still within warranty, i took it to ford who drove it up the road and agreed there was something wrong, they sent a report to ford uk, 10 months later I'm still waiting for a reply, i reckon its because it still drives. van renewal time is fast approaching so it gets traded into ford against a new one. ho hum !
woodstock
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby 4SixAuto » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:45 am

woodstock wrote:mine does exactly the same, still within warranty, i took it to ford who drove it up the road and agreed there was something wrong, they sent a report to ford uk, 10 months later I'm still waiting for a reply, i reckon its because it still drives. van renewal time is fast approaching so it gets traded into ford against a new one. ho hum !

My warranty has just run out but the case is open, ford have said they will take it apart but if it's not covered by the warranty I have to foot the bill with no indication of cost. I want to sell my van soon but need it up together as I won't be trading it in. Such a frustrating issue, I'm guessing it's either a faulty torque converter or the box will need a rebuild.
4SixAuto

Return to Transit Custom