*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Non Sync to SYNC 2.5 Upgrade, with part numbers - completed!

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Non Sync to SYNC 2.5 Upgrade, with part numbers - completed!

Postby mafty » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:32 pm

I wanted to upgrade the old 4" screen in my 2019 ex AA custom to a SYNC 2.5 model, with Apple CarPlay.

After trawling the forums here, and in other places, and only getting incomplete or partial information, I decided to do a 'How To', or at least a 'How I Did It'!

All the parts were sourced from ebay, apart from the USB adaptor, which came from Amazon.

The head unit I bought was from a 2022 Custom - Part number LK2T-18D804-HH
The screen is from the same model - Part number L1BT-18B955-FB

Along with the AHU and screen above, I bought a loom from a 2017-2020 fiesta, along with the USB media hub.
I removed the looming tape from the loom and only kept the 2 USB cables (labelled H1BT-14D202-EB and H1BT-14D202-CB) and the grey 4 pin flat power plug.
I cut the other large square end off of the power plug cable as it is not needed.

I ran the 2 USB cables behind the dash from the USB Hub in the top binnacle to the head unit. The square black one is the perfect length if you take the correct route, but the USB extension for the lower dash is not long enough, so I bought a USB A Male to Mini USB Female adapter from Amazon. This way you can leave the original plug in the dash and just connect the USB adaptor between the original grey plug from the old stereo and the lead coming from the hub.

Finally, I stripped back the 2 wires on the grey power plug at the back of the hub and soldered them to the 2 wires feeding the 12v socket next to it.
Wire connections as follows:
Blue/White on the media plug - Black/white on the 12v socket feed.
Blue/Yellow on the media plug - Purple/orange on the 12v socket feed.
DO NOT GET THESE THE WRONG WAY ROUND OR YOU MAY FRY YOUR PHONE!!!

So, to summarise, here are the Ford part numbers I used:-

Head unit - LK2T-18D804-HH
Screen - L1BT-18B955-FB
Fiesta Loom - H1BT-14B079-SC
USB Media Hub - HS7T-14F014-AC

From what I can tell, only the 6 digits in the middle of the part numbers are important - the other 2 blocks vary from model to model.

Anyway, I hope this helps somebody to do this conversion, and maybe the mods could make it a sticky?
Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Remapped by Image
mafty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Non Sync to SYNC 2.5 Upgrade, with part numbers - comple

Postby lchris21 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am

Thanks for the reply to my original post. I'll start the parts accumulation !
lchris21

Postby martiboy » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:54 pm

Thanks for the excellent how to. Just 3 questions. Does the head unit require a code like the older radios if you unplugged the battery. Does it still give the little display for all the parking sensors and does it need any coding with forscan. Thanks.
martiboy

Postby mafty » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:10 pm

martiboy wrote:Thanks for the excellent how to. Just 3 questions. Does the head unit require a code like the older radios if you unplugged the battery. Does it still give the little display for all the parking sensors and does it need any coding with forscan. Thanks.

No, it plugs straight in and works fine.
However, you won’t be able to charge a phone or get Apple CarPlay without changing the USB hub as described. The phone will just say Charging, then cut off, then repeat.

The park sensors show fine, but if you want to add a reversing camera it will have to be coded using Forscan.
I have just fitted an aftermarket camera myself and it works beautifully, with the original park pilot showing in the top right corner of the screen.

Hope this helps.
Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

Remapped by Image
mafty
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom