*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Buying Advice

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Buying Advice

Postby AFCFanChris » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:26 pm

Hi everyone,

As the title suggests I’m after some buying advice for my dad. About a month ago the timing chain on our 2008 Vivaro we used for work jumped leaving us with nothing to work out of. We’ve just managed to buy a MK1 Connect Sportvan but as we regularly carry 8x4 sheets of plasterboard this Van obviously isn’t big enough, but we mainly bought the Connect to get us back working while we sorted out a bigger van, plus we always liked the looked of the Connect Sportvan and this one just happened to be around the corner from us at a great price.

We would like a MK8 Transit because they are a lot more modern than the Vivaro we had but a mechanic friend has told us to stay away from them due to the issues they face. I’ve done a fair bit of research into it and we are going to steer clear of the 2.0 wetbelt manily because we can only afford a higher mileage example and if something happens after buying the van we wouldn’t have the money straight away to fix it, thus somewhat forcing us out of work again.

On eBay at the minute is 2.2 MK8 that is within our budget it’s a 64 plate Euro 5. It has over 160k miles on it but it has a full service history, I believe this engine has a chain rather than a belt. But I’ve read a bit about pistons cracking, so I was just wondering what people’s views are on this engine, whether they are reliable or not when looked after.

We’re also considering getting a 2.4 MK7 but would obviously prefer the MK8 due to it being more modern, and the obvious rust issues on the MK7.

Sorry for the long first post.

Thanks in Advance.

Chris.
AFCFanChris

Re: Buying Advice

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:39 pm

Think the pistons crack when an injector goes faulty, I would imagine that it would be running rough before this happened ..so it's all down to the driver ignoring warning signs over a period of time..if you stay on top of it, observe it, get to know how it feels, sounds and drives, then react quickly to its cries of help you should be ok, 165,000 isn't that much for one of these with a full service history. First thing I would do it oil change followed by another a week later. also change the gearbox oil ..as that is important, as ford does not stipulate a gearbox oil change....then you have the clutch to worry about, which could be the next thing to pack up at 165,000.

I bet they are going cheap around London area with this ulez thing?

There will probably be a list someone could add to this thread on what goes at what mileage, that would be great and may give you some idea what to expect.

In the mean time, all i can think of is : buy a roof rack for the connect, lay the plaster board on plywood sheet and cover your plasterboard with water proof sheet / cover .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby AFCFanChris » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:16 pm

metalworker0 wrote:Think the pistons crack when an injector goes faulty, I would imagine that it would be running rough before this happened ..so it's all down to the driver ignoring warning signs over a period of time..if you stay on top of it, observe it, get to know how it feels, sounds and drives, then react quickly to its cries of help you should be ok, 165,000 isn't that much for one of these with a full service history. First thing I would do it oil change followed by another a week later. also change the gearbox oil ..as that is important, as ford does not stipulate a gearbox oil change....then you have the clutch to worry about, which could be the next thing to pack up at 165,000.

I bet they are going cheap around London area with this ulez thing?

There will probably be a list someone could add to this thread on what goes at what mileage, that would be great and may give you some idea what to expect.

In the mean time, all i can think of is : buy a roof rack for the connect, lay the plaster board on plywood sheet and cover your plasterboard with water proof sheet / cover .

all the best.mark

Thanks for the reply and advice Mark I appreciate you taking the time.

We know all too well about injector problems after having one go on our vivaro, if we were to get a Ford be it a mk7 or 8 I have forscan so as soon as something doesn’t feel or sound right I can plug it straight in and see if anything shows up. You say that mileage isn’t too much for that engine, in your opinion are they considered fairly reliable when properly maintained, there isn’t anything they are specifically known for going wrong ?? Also are they the same engine as what was fitted to the later Mk7’s or are they different ??

On the Connect front I think we are just going to get the bigger stuff delivered for now, we did have a look but think the spoiler will get in the way and are going to leave that on for now.

Thanks again, Chris.
AFCFanChris

Postby Altransit » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:25 pm

AFCFanChris wrote: Also are they the same engine as what was fitted to the later Mk7’s or are they different ??

The 2.2 TDCi has been fitted in the Mk7 FWD since 2006, and was "upgraded" to Euro5 in 2011/2012 with a change of fuel system amongst other things.
It was subsequently fitted to the 'then' new Custom, and Mk8, and was used until the Euro 6 change in 2016 when the 2.0 wetbelt engine was used :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby AFCFanChris » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:28 pm

Altransit wrote:
AFCFanChris wrote: Also are they the same engine as what was fitted to the later Mk7’s or are they different ??

The 2.2 TDCi has been fitted in the Mk7 FWD since 2006, and was "upgraded" to Euro5 in 2011/2012 with a change of fuel system amongst other things.
It was subsequently fitted to the 'then' new Custom, and Mk8, and was used until the Euro 6 change in 2016 when the 2.0 wetbelt engine was used :)

That’s very handy to know thanks for the help.

Chris.
AFCFanChris

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:31 pm

Well the fellows with all the answers are on the MK6 / mk7 forum ..they hardly ever stray from it .
The info I've just given you is observations of posts here over a couple of years ..as i own a connect. but read most forums

Actual owners will be able to give you more info, there seams to be a lull in post answers here over the last 4 months ..so i answered to save you being left out to dry .

You could ask on the technical section at the top ..just about the engine ...but wait a bit --a day or so -to see if any come here and give advice first

all the best....mark
Last edited by metalworker0 on Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby AFCFanChris » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:37 pm

Thanks Mark, I’ll leave it a few days then and make a new post over there if I don’t hear anything else.

Chris.
AFCFanChris

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits