*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

belt/sprocket problem on alternator/ power steering MK8

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

belt/sprocket problem on alternator/ power steering MK8

Postby wilks » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:12 am

Hi all.
Sorry for posting on MK7 its a MK8
last night I occured a issue where I was driving my MK8 tranny and heard a thud under the bonnet area.. then the battery light came on and the power steering went hard....had to stop twice to get it to a mates for the night.
I took a look and it seems without stripping it down the the belt hadnt snapped but when I pull the big belt from what i can get hold of under the protection cover on the left ( on a l/h drive van) about half way down I can hear the belt pull on a broken or loose roller or cog....any ideas what it could be before I try to take it slowly to the garage without boiling it.
287,000kmts on a 2015yr MK8
was going to get the cam chain done as it at a equiv milage of 180,000miles so any advise on anything else that could need attention please other than the obvs oil n filters that i could do while it in at the mechanics??

cheers
Wilks
wilks
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: belt/sprocket problem on alternator/ power steering MK8

Postby Sam123 » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:11 pm

Chances are it’s the crank pulley gone. They are a hub and outer joined by rubber, and the rubber perishes so the hub doesn’t transmit drive to the outer, hence no drive to alternator and PS pump. Its not easy to spot until you remove the belt. It’s a quick and cheap job, there’s a thread on here somewhere about it. I wouldn’t bother changing the drive chain; they aren’t known to fail (it’s the later wet belts that fail). Plus, you’re barely saving any time doing the chain at the same time as the belt.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: belt/sprocket problem on alternator/ power steering MK8

Postby wilks » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:23 am

Hi..
thanks for the reply, do I have to remove any pullys to get the new big belt on?? it is the big pully that runs both belts ive checked as you describe crank pully

any order of install please??
wilks
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits