*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Central locking issue

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Central locking issue

Postby guygreenwood » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:40 am

Hi all,

I have an annoying problem with my van where sometimes when I lock it with the keyfob, it locks then unlocks straight away and the horn sounds once.
Then it will try to lock and unlock again and the indicators flash every 30 secs or so.

Sometimes it all works just fine.

Any ideas where to start with this ??
guygreenwood

Re: Central locking issue

Postby TiviamTonal » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:59 pm

That sounds frustrating! Here are some potential starting points to troubleshoot the issue with your van locking and unlocking erratically:

1. Check the key fob battery: A weak battery in the key fob can cause erratic signaling and malfunctioning features like locking and unlocking. Replace the battery with a fresh one and see if the issue persists.

2. Inspect the door sensors and locks: Faulty door sensors or malfunctioning locks can send confusing signals to the car's computer, leading to the observed behavior. Visually inspect the door latches and sensor areas for any visible damage or debris.

3. Consult your vehicle manual: Your car's manual might have specific troubleshooting steps or diagnostics for situations like this. Refer to the relevant sections on keyless entry and locking systems.

4. Visit a mechanic: If the above steps don't resolve the issue, it's recommended to take your van to a qualified mechanic. They can diagnose the problem using specialized tools and expertise and offer repair solutions.

Additional Tips:

Some vehicles have a "valet mode" that might cause similar symptoms. Double-check your manual to see if there's a way to disable it if accidentally activated.
If you have a spare key fob, try using it to see if the problem persists. This can help isolate whether it's a key fob issue or a broader system problem.
Remember, these are just general suggestions, and the specific solution might vary depending on your van's make and model. If the issue seems complex, seeking professional help from a mechanic is always the safest and most reliable option.
TiviamTonal

Postby guygreenwood » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:29 pm

OK, an update to this issue.

I've worked out that its the rear door that it thinks is open. I suspect its the actuator, but I can't work out how to remove it. I've undone the bolts and disconnected the upper pull wire, but I can't see how to remove the center handle pull wire at all.

I've searched for a guide on youtube/google, searched through the forums but nowehere mentions how to remove this actuator.

Anyone got any ideas ??
guygreenwood

Postby guygreenwood » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:16 pm

i've sorted this now. Took the handle off the outside to reveal a small screw which when undone allows the handle mechanism to pull out and you can unhook the cable from there.
Ordered a new one so hope this sorts the issue.
guygreenwood

Postby Altransit » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:15 am

Let us know if it does please :D
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby guygreenwood » Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:50 pm

So the new locking mechanism didn't help so I took out the loom and checked for breaks again - nothing.

I noticed some green corrosion on one of the plugs that go through the door jam and decided this must be the issue so I spliced all 6 wires from both plugs individually.
THEN I noticed that one of the pins in one of the plugs was bent over - see photo.

FFS this has taken me weeks to sort out. Maybe someone else might have a similar issue and can get some help from this.

Thanks all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
guygreenwood

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits