*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Timing belt recall

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Re: Timing belt recall

Postby jugeshm » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:13 pm

Hi
I have a 2017 Ford Transit Custom Crew Cab. I've just been made aware of this "wet belt" shambles. A customer has told me "get your belt changed before your engine blows, it's a common problem".

Just to be clear, I have no issue/breakdown (yet!). But I'm trying to be pro-active. The van has done 130K miles (all motorway miles). So it's only a matter of time I reckon.

What shall I do? Do I just ring Ford dealer and ask them to book me in. Will it likely be done for free, if it's a known issue? Or do I need to put my foot down and complain to get it free/goodwill discount?

I've tried looking if there's a recall on my reg, but it's coming up as no recall.

Had the van serviced every time it warns me to. First 2 services with Ford, rest with private garage (all invoiced).

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.
jugeshm

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Oct 27, 2023 9:41 pm

someones done a transit 2.0L Vid belt change at last. uploaded 1 day ago

I'm half way through it ..he seems to know what he's on about, this one will put you in the picture for sure, or panic you into getting it changed ..or stop you sleeping at night

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28kFY7HPVUI&t=24s

Some pointers not mentioned.......he uses a gun to take the crankshaft pulley off ...therefore only shows taking the starter motor off later in the video to lock the crank --- no gun ..you need to do this first.

Sealent - I'm sure this will be a special anaerobic sealant ...goes off when there is no air ...and dissolves away where there is air ...this is important , otherwise if you used silicone or what have you, you'd have bits of it floating around in the oil and ending up in the strainer.

do not use his method for final 90 degrees on the bolt ...use 3/4 breaker bar...or you'll damage the torque wrench

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Craigcov » Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:51 pm

p2thed wrote:The affected vehicle range

Does anyone have any official confirmation of the effected range? Have a build date of june 2019 and ford garage are saying it isn't covered:

"Unfortunately, the FSA does not recall all vehicles prior to July 2019. It only covers build dates between 02/05/2016 and 30/09/2017 and certain build plants. Your vehicle is, unfortunately, outwith those build dates and would not have had the FSA applied to it."
Craigcov

Postby Altransit » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:55 pm

Chug wrote:If you read back through this thread all the info you should need has been posted and is copied from Ford, they know its not fit for purpose but try and wriggle out of it.

See also this thread........ viewtopic.php?f=65&t=222053

Direct link to the FSA 20B44 post
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=204983&start=105#p1750970

scroll down that page to find this bit.....
Consequential Damage

If the timing belt delamination is not identified early, it could result in timing belt failure. The timing belt can fail in two ways, teeth can start to shear off the belt allowing the timing to slip or the belt can snap, both will cause poor running and lead to valve and piston contact. At this point the engine will need to be replaced.

The FSA will cover the costs of replacing the engine if it has failed due to the failure of the timing belt as described above or oil starvation due to excessive debris cause by delamination of the timing belt.

If you have identified an engine that has failed and the cause is confirmed as timing belt failure, you can bill the engine replacement to the FSA as a bill of material claim. Please submit a bill of material claim including all parts, labour and replacement vehicle hire required to complete the repair. The FSA no. 20B44 must be entered into the program code field. The labour time that can be claimed will vary depending on vehicle variant and if the repair is completed in combination with a routine service.
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby CazzaK91 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:07 pm

cornishpasty wrote:We had belt break on 3.5 year old van and Ford have fitted engine under warranty even though out of it.
Van less than 100000 miles.
They are surely admitting a problem.

Hello, I'm new here and looking for help. The same timing belt failure happened with my 3.5 year old van (made in Turkey so warranty only 2 years!!) at less than 58000 miles. I was hoping I could get some information to challenge Ford with as they refused to help me? I can't message you as I'm new. Thank you :)
CazzaK91

Postby Dazza007 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:05 pm

Has anyone figured out why some vans have a recall and others dont? Ive just got a 67plate 2.0l and found out its a wet belt design. Ford are saying there is no recall for mine. The job looks like a b*stard to do, ive been quoted £1100 or £800 as a foreigner. Hard to believe this situation.
Dazza007
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:19 pm

maybe after 2018 they started fitting a more durable wet belt...how durable i don't know ..i still say change at 80,000
All the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby motorhomer2018 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:00 am

Morning.

Just took my transit based motorhome into my local ford dealer (who have serviced it from new) for its 6 year service (32,000 miles), and was told that the belt needs changing at 6 years and not 10.

I was charged £1200 for the full service (oil/filter new fuel filter) along with timing belt and water pump.

I can now rest easy, as this has always bothered me since it became apparent, as if it was to go, it would be my fault and the mrs would be a tad upset with me

(I had no recall on for it)
motorhomer2018
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Read73236 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:15 pm

Hi All.
I bought a 2017 custom from a Ford dealership in 2021 and only now found out about the wetbelt issue. Apparently mine was recalled and inspected in 2021 and found to be ok. I've been told that now it's over 6yrs old I should have the belt changed at a cost of £1350.
It only has 63000 miles on it, I'm a bit pissed that when I bought it the interval change for the belt was 10yrs and 144000 miles now it's 6yrs and 100000 miles. It's been fully serviced by Ford including an early service due to the oil being contaminated by the diesel!!!!!

I will probably get it changed to be on the safe side but I did manage to get the oil filler pipe off and inspect it myself. I can't see any delamination, I've added a photo below.

Has anyone had any success in getting Ford to reduce the cost of the replacement?

It seems a hell of a cheek to change their suggested interval dates and mileage because of the risk of failure that their poor designing and engineering has caused and not offer a reduced cost to the customers who bought the vans in good faith with a major selling point of 2yr servicing and long intervals between belt changes to help reduce costs.

IMG_20240329_104115771~6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Read73236

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:21 pm

very hard to tell , really would need a picture of a brand new one that is soaked in oil , to be able to see the difference.

there is a grainy other pictures here ...of tiny squares that are missing .. but even that picture, which is from the ford bulletin really isn't good enough.

download/file.php?id=35730&mode=view

NOTE : you have to view the belt with a lettered bit to see the missing squares

yes i would still take their advice and change at 6 years ..no matter what the condition is
A s to the ethics of this ford move ..IN the usa would probably lead to a different outcome than here ...where we don't have much clout from the lawyers.

In the USA they have law suits against them for the gearboxes ..nearly all the
petrol ecoboosts, they are loosing money with the electric EV stuff ,so ford aint winning . and they may have told main dealers not to back down, and they allegedly told them not to do any warranty work on the belts until further notice recently

all the best///////mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Previous

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits