*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Heads up on possible high level brake light problem

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Heads up on possible high level brake light problem

Postby hectors-tranny » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:16 am

My neighbour noticed the other day that my high level brake light (2016 L3H3) was hanging down the back of my van by its wire.

On inspection I found that the light is held in place by 6 metal clips, 3 on the top of the unit, 3 on the bottom. The clips themselves are inserted into slots in the main plastic body of the light.

On mine all three bottom slots had snapped off, causing the metal clips to fall out and consequently the light itself to fall out. As the seal round the light is the only thing stopping rain washing into a bloody great big hole in the top of the van, this is kind of a big problem. I was lucky, mine broke on a dry day. But lucky someone noticed.

As I have never knocked - even touched - the brake light, I'm wondering if there's a construction fault here. So just to let you all know just in case.

New light is about 50 quid on EBay.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Heads up on possible high level brake light problem

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:15 am

not saying it is but my first thought when I read this was someone was trying to break into your van? taking the light out to gain access to interior door lock ????
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Heads up on possible high level brake light problem

Postby hectors-tranny » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:12 am

RECKLESS ROAD wrote:not saying it is but my first thought when I read this was someone was trying to break into your van? taking the light out to gain access to interior door lock ????

Possible I guess, but there's no sign of damage to the paintwork around the light where a would-be thief might have tried levering it out. And if they knew the vehicle they would know that the void behind the light leads nowhere.

It would be interesting to know if the same problem has happened to anyone else.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits