*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

gas certificate needed for insurance

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

gas certificate needed for insurance

Postby crispyphoenix » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi guys ,help needed.
I am trying to get insurance on my transit mk6 MWB .So far I am getting different info .
1.Adrian flux and couple of others are quoting over £600 for a years insurance under the heading of "conversion"where i can fit windows ,bed, sink ,and removable cooker like the little case one that uses canisters.
2.Sure term and others can insure it as a camper for under £300 so long as I can fit a bed,running water and a FITTED gas cooker which would need a gas safety certificate.
This is where I am getting different info.It turns out that the certificate is only supplied by a gas safe (used to be corgi) registered
engineer and having called around a lot of fitters they need to be LPG registered.It also seems to need an external entry door and separate box fitting to get this certificate.
This is where I start to wonder if something has changed for people like me that are looking to convert there vans ,as in all the pictures I have been looking at for ideas of layouts all the gas bottles and cookers i have seen are on the inside of the vans.
Any advice ,help on this matter .
100 T260, 2005, MWB, HIGH ROOF

HERE WE GO AGAIN !!!!!
crispyphoenix

Re: gas certificate needed for insurance

Postby Honey monster » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:20 pm

If you got any static caravan sites or repairers near you go and see them,all statics have a gas safe check each year,they can advise you on layout.
Honey monster
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Discobandit » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:48 pm

I don't uderstand what they mean by LPG registered? If they are Gas Safety Registered this includes LPG. Unless they are getting confused with LPG vehicle fuel systems?
Disco SlowImageLurchers FastImage1997 LWB 2.5DImage
Discobandit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby redhicube » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi just had gas tested for insurance, it has to be by a a lpg gas man, as this is a different to the normal gas.My mate is a gas safe plumber,but he had not done the lpg course,so cant do it.Found a local man in the yellow pages.As for having the gas bottles in the van, as long as they have a drop hole,and staped down its fine.Hope this helps. Forgot to say the gas test cost me £60.00
redhicube
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Discobandit » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:57 pm

I stand corrected :oops:
Disco SlowImageLurchers FastImage1997 LWB 2.5DImage
Discobandit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby crispyphoenix » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:55 pm

Thanks for the input guys.It is as redhicube says, it is a particular certificate they need to do the test.
Can I check one point made, with reference to a "drop hole" is this the vent the gas man I spoke to said was required in the floor of the van for the fumes to escape.Basically a vent hole in the floor.As he was pretty sure I needed this but he went on to talk about it needing to be away from the actual hob/cooker in a separate box and only accessible from outside the van.Did your gas man give any details about minimum diameters or vent covers that must be used.I am beginning to think the man I spoke to doesn't really want this job and is making it sound worse than it actually is.
Once again ,thanks for the help.

HERE WE GO AGAIN !!!!!
crispyphoenix

Postby ake » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:00 pm

crispyphoenix wrote:Thanks for the input guys.It is as redhicube says, it is a particular certificate they need to do the test.
Can I check one point made, with reference to a "drop hole" is this the vent the gas man I spoke to said was required in the floor of the van for the fumes to escape.Basically a vent hole in the floor.As he was pretty sure I needed this but he went on to talk about it needing to be away from the actual hob/cooker in a separate box and only accessible from outside the van.Did your gas man give any details about minimum diameters or vent covers that must be used.I am beginning to think the man I spoke to doesn't really want this job and is making it sound worse than it actually is.
Once again ,thanks for the help.

The Gas Safety rules regarding ventilation on Leisure Accomadation Vehicles is a nightmare, There are several differant standards, and the age of the vehicle/conversion determines which standard should be used. Yes you need a drop hole in the gas storage compartment to allow leaking gas to escape, cant remember the size off hand, but a 2" diameter hole would suffice, you also need ventilation in the main area of the van to allow airchanges and to supply combustion air for your hob/fire

Discobandit wrote:I don't uderstand what they mean by LPG registered? If they are Gas Safety Registered this includes LPG. Unless they are getting confused with LPG vehicle fuel systems?

The last time I counted there were about 80 differant Gas Safe qualifications. A household plumber will be qualified to work in houses and perhaps on Fires and Boilers, but may not have cookers or water heaters. A commercial gas engineer may be qualifiedto repair a 1500kw boiler, but not a domestic combi boiler, and you can have an LPG ticket, but not be allowed to work on Caravans :shock: :shock: Trust me the gas rules are very complicated (but worthwhile and probably save a lot of lives :wink:
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby redhicube » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi the drop hole should be at least 2in diameter, we have our gas bottles in the rear of the van, so have to open rear doors to change the bottles,also got a rachet strap to keep them in place he said this was fine.I will put some photos on later ,hope this helps :D
redhicube
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby crispyphoenix » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:58 pm

That may prove useful.As i say it seems that the gas people are a little unsure of what is needed to give me a safety certificate.Showing a converted van, may help a lot.
Thanks for the help.

HERE WE GO AGAIN !!!!!
crispyphoenix

Return to Camper vans and conversions