*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

integrating Ctek D250sa

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

integrating Ctek D250sa

Postby parko58 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi, Newbie slightly daunted by what I've taken on :shock:
I have bought a 2015 Transit H3L3 and will be converting it to a camper. I have been trying to get my head around all that I need to do/learn. I am starting to get my head around the electrics and understand 12v and 230v set up. However when I started researching leisure batteries and the importance of maintaining them properly I stumbled across the Ctek stuff. The D250A together with the smartpass120 seem to be a good system for battery charging and power management, and from the reviews I have read it is generally well thought of. I can see how the Ctek stuff works but I am struggling to grasp how it integrates with the electrical systems.
I appreciate that an averagely competent person would understand this but I'm clearly not so please be gentle.
Thank you
parko58

Re: integrating Ctek D250sa

Postby hectors-tranny » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:12 pm

The Ctek D250sa is a 'battery to battery' (B2B) charger. Basically it does what other types of 'split-charge relay' do - it permits your alternator to charge your leisure battery when the engine is running, then isolates the starter battery from the leisure battery when the engine is off, so you don't run down the starter battery as well.

Connection is easy - at least it was for the B2B charger I bought - connect +ve starter battery and +leisure battery to the B2B unit (with correct inline fuses), plus an earth - that's it.

A B2B charger does an awful lot more than any other types of split-charge relay though. To start with they are compatible with variable output 'smart alternators' like the ones used on Mk8 Transits. Secondly, they 'trick' the alternator into delivering full output if needed, meaning they will charge your leisure battery about 5 times as fast as any other split charge system (and more fully). Thirdly, they deliver charge to you leisure battery in a correct stepped charge protocol, just like a mains charger, for maximum health and long life of your leisure battery

They are well worth the cost if you can afford them.

I note that the D250sa integrates with a solar panel as well, which is a bonus if you also want solar charging. Personally, I found that the B2B charger works so efficiently that even with a small amount of driving each day I don't need solar. If you plan to park and drive very little for several days, solar might be useful though.

I bought this one: https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/sterling ... v-30a.html

They also do a'kit' where they supply it with all the correct rated cables and fuses. Easy! https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/split-ch ... asure.html

It's also worth having a mains leisure battery charger (to charge your battery when you are hooked up to mains on site, or when at home just to keep it topped up and in premium health. You might not need one though if you have solar - not sure.

Mains is straightforward in your van if you have a basic knowledge of household mains electricity. You just need a consumer unit (e.g. a 2 gang garage unit), then run a couple of mains sockets (and maybe a mains leisure battery charger) from that. You'll need a blue three pin camping socket built into your van somewhere, and some 16 amp cable to connect it to the consumer unit,
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby parko58 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:22 pm

Thanks HT for the straightforward answer. It's slowly falling into place. What did we do before the internet!
parko58

Postby Altransit » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:00 pm

What a great answer hectors-tranny :D

If only all of the answers on here were as good, this forum could be listed as an encyclopedia 8) 8) :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Rossifan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:33 am

I'm doing a similar exercise with my Trannie, just a little confused where to take the + ive feed from i.e which of the two batteries under my drivers seat to the B2B Charger (also a Newbie) any advice?
Rossifan
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dumper » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:31 am

I rang the manufacturer and they said to the front battery mines been on 10 months no problem at all
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Rossifan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:13 pm