*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Internal Height Dimensions of Mid & Hightop

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

Internal Height Dimensions of Mid & Hightop

Postby JediKnight » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:01 am

Hello to whom ever is reading,

I’m currently looking at buying and converting a ford transit however it’s important for the height to accommodate myself (185cm). I’m curious whether the Transit internal height for the mid changes from years 2000 - 2010? It’s difficult to get my hands on this information, as I had someone mention they had a mid which was 190cm internally. Any clarification would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

JediKnight
JediKnight

Re: Internal Height Dimensions of Mid & Hightop

Postby Altransit » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:34 am

Mk6 and Mk7 would be the same internal heights, but a FWD model will have a lower floor than a RWD, giving you more headroom :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby hectors-tranny » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Just in case you think about a Mk8 - here's some info on internal height for that: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=179079
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby khaito » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:38 pm

Altransit wrote:Mk6 and Mk7 would be the same internal heights, but a FWD model will have a lower floor than a RWD, giving you more headroom :)

This. So much this. I realised this AFTER I bought my RWD mid-height roof transit. My van's height in the back, with bare metal roof and floor, was about 162cm. As it's a MWB, the back is about 278cm long by 175cm wide.
I'd reckon 190cm is a high roof one. You're probably better off getting a high roof one to be safe, or find transits (for sale, on the street, wherever!) and ask if you can jump in the back to see if you can stand up straight in it.
2003 Ford Transit 350 Duratorq DI 2.4 (90PS), Diamond White 73, MWB mid-roof
khaito
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Cider Andy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Further to other comments (especially regarding the different floor heights), I have a long wheelbase high roof front wheel drive mk7 van, which I bought to convert into a motorhome and which I chose specifically for the best headroom. It's currently a refrigerated van and has quite heavy insulation in the back. Even in the heaviest insulated freezer compartment the minimum headroom is 1.84m.

Most long wheelbase vans are rear wheel drive. If you can only find dimensions for the rear wheel drive, the front wheel drive vans offer approximately 4"/100mm more headroom.
Drink moderately, eat healthily, exercise regularly, die anyway.
Cider Andy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby GuyT » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:02 pm

Hello JediKnight

I recently measured the length and height (MK7) of a lwb m/r that was stripped out, no floor or ceilings just the panels. The height of the m/r from floor to ceiling I wrote down as 170. I believe it was technically 174cm but I measured to the internal roof bar/strut/strengthener - whatever it is technically called, I don't know. The length of the floorpan from the buklhead to the back doors I measured as 330cm.

When I get inside a h/r I'll measure up and let you know. I'm ideally after a h/r myself.

Hope this helps.

Guy
GuyT
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions