*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

DAB reception

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

DAB reception

Postby DIGGER73 » Sat May 12, 2018 11:14 am

Can anyone help. Since getting my Custom converted to a camper the Ford DAB radio reception is pants. I've spoke with the converter who states the aerial is still in the roof but is now in the spoiler for the pop up roof. We don't want to continue with this poor reception and want to better the signal. Can anyone offer any solutions?

We are not tech savvy. We have a Halfords about 5 miles away from us in York. We are thinking someone could fit one if those windscreen type DAB aerials and just disconnect the Ford one on the roof and connect the windscreen one to the Ford DAB radio. Is that worthwhile?

Thanks in advance.
DIGGER73
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: DAB reception

Postby vanvliet » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:17 am

The Ford factory fitted DAB aerial in my Transit Custom apparently uses two small matchbox sized units attached to the two side rear window demisters ( part nos BK2T-18C847-BA abd BK2T-18C847-AA on Google this part is described as an' amplifier isolator module ' - whatever that means!) The main roof aerial was not even connected to a cable and seems to have been fitted to fill the hole in the roof rather than taking it out and fitting a large grommet.
If you have a factory fitted DAB then it would be best to get your Ford dealer to check it out as the converter will not have a clue! Let me know how you get on - - - - - -
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DIGGER73 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:05 pm

Spoke with a Ford dealer in York. Apparently the DAB aerial is somewhere in the rear wheel arch lining. The aerial on the roof (mine's a 63 plate) is the FM one. On new Customs the DAB aerial is a 'wart' on the drivers side external roof. Not sure what my options are now in terms of DAB reception. The current status is pants! Any ideas anyone?
DIGGER73
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bigjohnthomas » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:50 pm

yes write a strongly worded letter to the British broadcasting company and tell them it s sh*t
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby vanvliet » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:00 pm

Turned out my problem was due to me not tuning the DAB unit properly ! Reception has been great including a trip from Scotland to Wiltshire Def worth getting your dealer to check the tuning as I do not think that it is 'intuitive' - -but I might just be 'slow'
vanvliet
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Camper vans and conversions