*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

P0400 Code

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

P0400 Code

Postby Cls1989 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:35 am

IMG_2561.jpg

2019 Transit Connect

Engine light is on, when I scan the vehicle it generates code P0400, see image below for details. When I go online it appears the cause of the problem could be the EGR valve, and the solution is to replace it.

1. Has anyone else had issues with this code?
2. Was the cause of the problem the EGR valve?
3. Anyone have any instruction video or photos showing how to replace it for my generation of the transit connect?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cls1989

Re: P0400 Code

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:13 am

First problem is that this is mainly a European and UK forum ..who's members mainly buy diesel engined vans , the amount of gasoline engined connects is very small in UK and Europe...so not many here who can help
So begin all your posts saying that it has a 2l Duratec gasoline engine ...that may help a bit...

I've looked around and found this video

beggars cant be choosers - the engine is in a fiesta ...hope this helps...its about the best i can do .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt5-jCIi7Rc

note your engine is in many cars in UK and Europe but not many vans so ford based car forums may have more answers for you ,

all the best.mark.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby LostinTransit » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:03 pm

2020 Connect 2.0L here US Model..

We've gotten this code twice in 4 years and each time, the EGR has bene removed tested cleaned and replaced. This past month I was given information that suggested that this error core is a false reading. Although the tech in the link runs through something that can/could be wrong with the system.. Our performance tech doesn't see anything wrong after his testing. However in a few weeks we'll be replacing the EGR valve and go from there. But since that time when our first code appeared back in 2022, the tech tells me that it's due to poor fuel from third world contrives and just engine fuel treatments. Ironically, adding the fuel treatment (gumout engine tune) makes a difference and the van has been running fine since. However, as I said we're going to replace the EGR in a few weeks anyway.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Cls1989 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:37 pm

LostinTransit wrote:2020 Connect 2.0L here US Model..

We've gotten this code twice in 4 years and each time, the EGR has bene removed tested cleaned and replaced. This past month I was given information that suggested that this error core is a false reading. Although the tech in the link runs through something that can/could be wrong with the system.. Our performance tech doesn't see anything wrong after his testing. However in a few weeks we'll be replacing the EGR valve and go from there. But since that time when our first code appeared back in 2022, the tech tells me that it's due to poor fuel from third world contrives and just engine fuel treatments. Ironically, adding the fuel treatment (gumout engine tune) makes a difference and the van has been running fine since. However, as I said we're going to replace the EGR in a few weeks anyway.

Thank you for the reply. Are you replacing the EGR valve yourself? If yes, can you document the process and share with the forum?
Cls1989

Postby LostinTransit » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:48 am

I'm unable to do the replacement my self and the shop will handle this for me. But here's a youtube of that replacement and location:

https://youtu.be/tJzAjWsPqeI?si=iFu4L2Wg-07J1eeS

Here's another video of a different car but shows the exact location of the EGR valve on the engine.

https://youtu.be/uUJSP5zCyQo?si=4j0TMaz7gcJ72ZdZ
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:48 pm

Update on this.

imageedit_7_6382350185.jpg

The new EGR valve arrived last week and we have an appointment to have this part installed this coming Tuesday.. The Valve cost me $50.00 USD via RockAuto. the shop is not going to allow me in to document this install.. We're being told that it will cost us $200.00 USD to have this part installed. You'll need the hardware and gasket. Do not bother just cleaning the old one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:36 pm

A few things have happen since making this repair:

1: The engine is running smoother
2: The coolant temp is staying cooler
3: The fuel economy has gotten better

It’s obvious the carbon build up in the two ports along with the coolant tube is what was hindering the van’s performance. With this flawed design… we’ll prob have to replace this part every 3-4 years. So if you're getting an EGR error code or feel your van just isn't peppy anymore.. replace the EGR valve and make sure you have plenty of extra coolant on hand as the coolant lines (small line) runs through the valve. Also just so you know what one is looking at.. there are two larger holes at the base on the flat side of the valve, This where the exhaust fumes enter and exit the valve. The black plastic part at the top of the valve contains a plunger which opens and closes based on what your engine needs. if the plunger spring gets caked up with carbon.. it will either stay open or remain closed.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby LostinTransit » Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:12 pm

here's an update.. yes the EGR was caked up with carbon.. this seems to be a flawed design as the valve could not actuate like it's suppose to the carbon build up was hindering the valve from open or closing.. So anyone with this code will need to have the valve replaced. be warned that the coolant line runs through the valve and you will have to burb the system after the new valve has bene replaced. Also and something we've discovered with replacing the valve is that I wanted to also replace the NGK spark plugs.. But turns out the new and old plugs are counterfeit as sold by Rockauto. We contact rockauto and NGK about this.. both aren't going to do anything about this.. so we've had to switch up plug manufactures.. bright spot here.. we contacted TRQ perfor4manc eparts and acquired a set of their red head coil packs for the van..

TRQ Coil Pack Installed.jpg
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Connect