*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Exhust Filter Full message

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Exhust Filter Full message

Postby Simonh82 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:58 pm

Hi new to the forum and pretty new to owning a Transit (Tourneo I hope that still counts). I've got a 2020 Grand Tourneo Connect that I got secondhand from a main Ford dealer last summer at 43000 miles. In the six months +3500 miles I've had it I've had the diesel particulate filter warning come up 3 times now. The first couple of times it said to drive to clean so I took it for a 45-minute run out of town and the message went. The last time was only a couple of weeks ago. Today, I got the same message but couldn't take it for a drive immediately. It was only running for 5 minutes and when I started it an hour or so later it came up with the same message but then almost immediately changed to say filter full, service now.

A few questions for those who know more about diesel Euro 6 engines than me (that's pretty much anyone). Is it safe to try giving it another run at high speed to see if it clears the filter? I need to drive to my folks about a hundred miles and back at the weekend. Would driving it that far on a full filter be really bad if it doesn't clear? Should the DPF have been changed as part of the full presale service?

Any advice appreciated as wasn't expecting this kind of issue.
Simonh82

Re: Exhust Filter Full message

Postby Blizz » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:02 am

In my experience van prefer driving 80-100 non steady rather than 110-120km/h on the highway for doing the regens.

You could install a regen LED to avoid interrumpting them and activate the option for static regen with FORScan...

Cheers,

David
Blizz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:27 pm

Yeah, that's something i don't understand ..why the driver never gets a message or a light to tell him regeneration is taking place.
Can you tell the forum how you wired the light.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby longhair » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:03 am

Just wire a led to the heated windscreen terminals on the A post. When the van does a regen, it will turn the heated screen on so the led will light up.
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:50 am

longhair wrote:Just wire a led to the heated windscreen terminals on the A post. When the van does a regen, it will turn the heated screen on so the led will light up.

What happens if you don't have a heated screen..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Blizz » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:59 pm

We use to use the #9 fuse which is for the heated mirrors/rear glass with one of those:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_DDew6UZ

Knowing when a regen is taking place is important to try to avoid interrumpting them. When this happens not only the regen is not finished but the oil can get contaminated with diesel and you know what happens next... Premature engine wear, timing belt delamination, etc...

Cheers,

David
Blizz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:08 pm

Led's are 1.8 and 3.3 volts according to google

whatever one you attach to the fuse you are going to be putting a resistor inline with it to bring it down from 12 volts.

what's with the windscreen and heated mirror anyway ..are you saying to put more load on the engine .. it switches them on to help with the regen ?

All sounds garbage to me ...so called DPF designed to help the environment,,,
1. Makes van burn more fuel and make co2, as soon as it gets only partially blocked .
2..Then continues to make it burn even more fuel and make even more co2 as it gets fully blocked
3. ..Then to unblock itself, it burns more fuel again, makes more co2....and turns the soot its burnt off into god knows what.

Not that i believe co2 is anyway relevant to climate change - we are being had!

I'll bet in china, india far east etc ..they have a whole industry to disable these devices and 90 percent of the population there are driving around with these devices disabled ..and there will be no enforcement happening there, or ever will be.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Slicknick » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:37 pm

I have pretty much the same problem! Only had the vehicle a few months and it has been in the garage twice for a forced regeneration and £300 later ! I don’t know how I am supposed to use it ti try and stop this happening ? If it happens again I will have to try and cut my losses and get rid of it as it’s unfit for purpose …I also have a 2019 Connect Tourneo Auto . I don’t think Ford thought it through with an automatic gearbox as the revs dint get high enough to generated the heat required to start the regeneration process or maybe that’s not true ? You should have a drive to clean prompt on the dash and then another to say cleaning is in process . I think this is when you should be trying to drive the crap out of it to clean the filter as if it goes to a red prompt and spanner and engine warning light it’s too late for the DPF to clean itself and has probably gone into limp mode already . Really frustrating but must be a common problem ? Hope you get it sorted out as I am doing my nut over mine and probably won’t buy a Ford again !
Slicknick
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:13 pm

i would not say "don't buy a ford again" as every vertical now has the same problems.

What you must do is

Watch O'Reilies videos on youtube
Get yourself the software forescan for free ..mount it on your laptop or phone

Get the elm interface lead

This is what you have to do to run these newish vehicles, without it draining your bank.

You're lucky with ford as you can do it this way ..other vehicles ..you may be paying high for the software or visiting a dealership.

Note ...you don't have to learn everything about the software ...just the dpf part of it.
I don't need it, i'm running old 2006 connect..and touch wood, not needed it

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Callum124 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:55 pm

Not sure if anyone can help me as well. Recently bought a used 2019 Ford transit connect with 46K miles on the clock now I have had about 6 diags with the same error code which is something like under threshold bank 1. Which means the DPF is blocked and have had it cleaned twice and the engine light keeps coming back on? But it’s coming on as a memory fault but not showing an actual live code? I’ve had the fault cleared reset and all sorts etc the engine light comes back on normally a few hours later or a day or two later, not sure if anyone can offer some advice?
Callum124

Return to Transit Connect