*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Blue Smoke high revs

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Blue Smoke high revs

Postby Dukhudson » Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:58 pm

Hi guys I've got a random as hell issue.

I've recently brought a transit Connect Sport 110 2008 and it's done 130,000miles, it's been mapped, EGR delete and by the looks of it de-catted. Had a new reman turbo fitted where it also has the compressor cover machined and billet compressor wheel installed in 2017 according to the paperwork (provided it's not been changed again since)
If I drive it under 2,000rpm, no matter how long I drive it or how hot it gets have no issues (even after a long run if pull up at home and rev the nuts of it, still no smoke) only when I go over that after a few gear changes between roundabouts on a dual carriageway trying to get up to speed quicker I noticed plumes of blue smoke and won't stop until I turn it off. 10-20 minutes later and it'll be fine again under 2000rpm

I've done compression test and seems fine, turbo has the most minimal play up and down on wiggle test so I took a look underneath and noticed a lot of oil around the base of the turbo cartridge where the return pipe is. There's no obvious kinks on the outside of the pipe. I've not had a oil pressure light but if it's restricted at oil return and leaking into the turbo I'm thinking it wouldn't come on.

Before I remove it I'm just wondering has anyone had a return pipe blocked or restricted? TIA
Ford Transit Connect T200 Sport
Former Ford Main Dealer Tech
Dukhudson

Re: Blue Smoke high revs

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:46 pm

Perhaps the smoke is drip from the turbo landing on exhaust ..and what you are seeing is the smoke not from the inside of the exhaust but the outside ..dripping burning on the exhaust ..and making its way to the back of the van to be seen in mirrors as exhaust smoke .
slowing down for roundabout etc ..cause it to go directly on exhaust not blow away .,.

i would try taking the return pipe off and having a look at the seals .. a cheap first fix before you start looking at other things

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Dukhudson » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:14 pm

metalworker0 wrote:Perhaps the smoke is drip from the turbo landing on exhaust ..and what you are seeing is the smoke not from the inside of the exhaust but the outside ..dripping burning on the exhaust ..and making its way to the back of the van to be seen in mirrors as exhaust smoke .
slowing down for roundabout etc ..cause it to go directly on exhaust not blow away .,.

i would try taking the return pipe off and having a look at the seals .. a cheap first fix before you start looking at other things

all the best.mark

Thanks mark, so there's no smoke in the engine bay and when it happens it and leave it idling you can see smoke from the inside of the exhaust until I turn it off and I have also checked the exhaust system and no visible oil on the outside of the exhaust system. I was also debating whether if I removed the oil return pipe and ran a smoke machine through it, if it would show oil seals have gone in the turbo through the turbo inlet and out of the exhaust or whether smoke would get past those seals anyway
Ford Transit Connect T200 Sport
Former Ford Main Dealer Tech
Dukhudson

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:57 pm

Have a look to see how much oil there is hanging about in the intercooler, not sure ..though, if you find any quantity there ..what you are to make of it .

as some people think its a something that happens due to PCV and the turbo pressure ..and is normal and is treated with a catch can.

others advice ..turbo goosed mate, get a new turbo. or you'll have a run away.

i say ..if the oil build up isn't cleared away from the intercooler for tens of 1000's of miles it will build up ..then it will eventually start getting through to engine ...there will be oil residues on the outside of the intercooler pipes at the joins if its going that way .

on the connects everything is down hill to the intercooler ..that doesn't help .

i really don't know enough about turbos

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect