*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Gearbox/clutch/speedo???

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Gearbox/clutch/speedo???

Postby mightymark226 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:50 pm

Hi need some help here. Driving to work this morning in my 04 TDDI I lost all of my gears and was left in neutral. Got towed home and noticed that the speedo wasn't registering anything, clutch pedal feels normal. Any ideas, she does have over 200K miles.
mightymark226

Re: Gearbox/clutch/speedo???

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:21 pm

lots missing from this question

state of vehicle before it failed .....noises, vibration etc

speedo showing no miles .....what do you mean no miles for the towing distance or has the 200,000 gone

no gears -------do you mean you can select them ,..but you have no drive

you need to be more detailed ..so that people can help you.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby mightymark226 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:54 pm

Ok more detail. Everything seem perfectly normal, no weird noises or vibrations. I was driving through a village at 30mph and went to change from 5th to 4th and suddenly had no gears as in the engine was running but I was in neutral and couldn't select anything. The gear stick action felt normal, not like snapped linkages and the clutch pedal feels normal too. No burning clutch smell either. I have since pulled the gear selector mechanism off the gearbox as I thought the pin might have snapped on that but that is in perfect working order. I'm stumped ???
mightymark226

Postby mightymark226 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:56 pm

sorry meant to add when being towed back home the speedo didn't register anything
mightymark226

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:32 pm

think the speedo is electronic and needs ignition switch on to work.

if youve had the selector mech off ..you should be able to manually select gears ....if so, then the problem lies outside the box ..in the cables or at the gear lever ..
if you cant select gears manually (turning shafts with mole grips etc)....then its something internal in the box

Then you need to look at mileage is this high ..its plus 200.000 ! ..condition of van

s/h gearbox rather than go in there and fix ..as the parts (other than the bearings) will be only available from ford and cost ££££££

Some gearboxes from other ford cars do fit

then again you may end up buying a worse gearbox than the one you are taking out ..as you can see i don.t trust breakers yards ...they tell you anything.

but before you do that do a check over for things like broken drive shaft, if its the clutch ..the gearbox has to come out anyway ....and that's a big job.

value of the van if its plus £1000 ..then maybe fix yourself , £2000 definitely fix youself ..if below then think hard

if sub £1500 value and if you got to pay some to do it ..send it to scrap

its really down to your abilities ..your spare time ...a 2004 200,000 mile van that you have to pay someone to fix ..in my opinion is a write off...unless its magically mint, been fully restored etc ...cant see that as these vans rot badly, can be covered up and disguised..may look good but be very bad inside the sill structure.

all the bestr..mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect