*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Transit Connect Rear Disc Brakes

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Re: Transit Connect Rear Disc Brakes

Postby Kent Discos » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:37 pm

i have one of paul's rear brake kits and love it to bits, beats having the S***ty drums!
Jack Wilson | 2017 Transit Custom 290 130PS from Absolute Vans
Kent Media Group - http://www.kentmediagroup.co.uk | Kent Discos - http://www.kentdiscos.me.uk
Kent Discos
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby paul2012 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:38 am

I agree rear disc brakes are way better than the drums & improved braking performance

I already had the discs & calipers from a connect sportvan, just did not have the mounting brackets. (Calipers are mounted on the Axle stubs)

Paul / vale was unsure if his caliper mounting brakets were of any use to me when I asked about them.
It would be interesting to see how Pauls / vales caliper brackets are mounted. I don't think they would be bolted between the stub & axle beam, the bolts would'nt be long enough & rear wheel span would be wider

In the end I did manage to get a complete rear axle with disc brakes from a 2011 connect For £150 - Did not need the axle beam as it was ABS, my van does'nt have ABS. Just fitted both hubs with disc guards, discs, calipers & handbrake cables (2 rear cables)

No supprise 2011 rear calipers & discs are Identical to the sportvan ones, so Pauls/vales caliper brackets should fit, unless he is supplying a different calipers in his kit :?: :?:

This is my axle from a 2011 connect

The Axle stub for rear disc brakes look like this

There is a couple of members that have obtained the complete axles with disc brakes.

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=102080&hilit=transit+connect+rear+disc+conversion&start=15

So far in the last month I have seen 3 connect axles with disc brakes on ebay. All under £200

Is anyone looking for a Rear Axle ?, Not even a year old !! removed from a 2011 connect (fits all connects with ABS)

2007 Ford Mondeo mk4 1.8 TDCI -RETROFIT IN PROGRESS
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D
2010 Vauxhall Insignia- RETROFIT IN PROGRESS

IDS & GM GDS2 services

SUBSCRIBE http://www.youtube.com/@PaulsTechChannel
paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby NC53 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:39 pm

Did you need to change the master cylinder or can it cope?
NC53
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby NC53 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:16 pm

And were there any incompatibility issues given that your van does not have abs but the disc set up was from an abs model?
NC53
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby lightning » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:27 pm

My T200 Connect has the rear disc brake option.

The handbrake is crap and always has been....I cannot trust the van to hold on a steep hill, although it passes the MOT OK.

I recently replaced the rear discs/pads after 50,000 miles and it is still crap.

I'd stick with the rear drums if I were you.
lightning
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby GKandR4CH » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:34 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Don't be silly. If your handbrake doesn't hold on a hill etc then something is seriously wrong with the set up.
Try sticking it in gear as well.
Read the forum rules
GKandR4CH
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby liteace » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:40 pm

I converted mine to rear disc's, it 100% better the H\brake is shi*t-hot, I think drum brakes are a thing of the past and a pain in the arse, self adjusters never work, leaking cylinders, worn drums that you can never get off
Please don't send me PM's, i can't access them, when I try I get this:

You are not authorised to send private messages
liteace
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby lightning » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:10 am

Mine's crap.

The day I bought the van brand new I got home and reversed it on to my drive, which is a very gentle slope. I left it with the handbrake on. Half an hour later I looked out of the window and the van was gone, it had rolled off the drive and was in the middle of the road!
I took it back but they said the handbrake was OK, it is better now but cannot hold the van on a steep hill. Well it does, but only just.

I do leave it in gear as well which does the trick. My Kangoo Van had rear drums and the handbrake would lock the rear wheels if you put it on while driving. No way will my Connect handbrake do that.
lightning
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby NC53 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:34 pm

Sounds like there is something wrong with your handbrake, despite what the dealer says.

I had a similar problem on a Mk1 Focus although, as you say, it was just about good enough to scrape through the MOT. In the end the only thing I hadn't changed was the handbrake cable so I took it off, laid it out next to a new one and it looked identical but I fitted the new one anyway and hey presto, it cured the problem.

Might be worth replacing the handbrake cable?
NC53
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Marty.H » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:23 am

If the cables are over adjusted so the mech on the caliper that the cable goes onto does not go all the back to the stop when handbrake off it will not adjust and will cause a crap handbrake. I have see this a lot on the focuses ford had over adjusted them all so check make sure when of they are going all the way back to the stops if they are not slacken the handbrake cables
Marty.H
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby lightning » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:22 pm

OK thanks for the advice, I will check this.
lightning
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby paul2012 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Marty.H wrote:If the cables are over adjusted so the mech on the caliper that the cable goes onto does not go all the back to the stop when handbrake off it will not adjust and will cause a crap handbrake. I have see this a lot on the focuses ford had over adjusted them all so check make sure when of they are going all the way back to the stops if they are not slacken the handbrake cables

"mech on the caliper that the cable goes onto does not go all the back to the stop when handbrake off it will not adjust and will cause a crap handbrake" :lol: :lol:
This would not cause the handbrake not to hold - infact the rear brakes would be constantly on as brake cable is adjusted too tight

If you have rear disc brakes, Please note handbrake cable in NOT self adjusting. To adjust the handbrake cables can only be done manually.

If your handbrake lever goes more than 3 or 4 clicks up then cable idealy need to be tightened up.

cable can only be adjusted at the hanbrake lever - remove lever gator & the adjustment nut (10mm) is on the lefthand side of lever.

If have mine adjusted so that the level goes no further 4 clicks up & handbrake is perfect (& I can lock up the rear wheels :mrgreen: )
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D

IDS & GM GDS2 services

paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Marty.H » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:11 am

Ford had a recall on the focus for over adjusted cables and parking brake not working correctly.

And they do have to go back to the stops on the caliper for the worm to adjust. Funny how I have failed quite a few on mot for insufficient parking brake readings for me to then slacken the cables off and work the parking brake and the figures go up and it passes must be luck I recon ;)
Marty.H
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby paul2012 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Marty.H wrote:Ford had a recall on the focus for over adjusted cables and parking brake not working correctly.

And they do have to go back to the stops on the caliper for the worm to adjust. Funny how I have failed quite a few on mot for insufficient parking brake readings for me to then slacken the cables off and work the parking brake and the figures go up and it passes must be luck I recon ;)

Yes, that is for rear drum brakes only !! On rear brake drums there is a automatic adjuster that automatically adjust the brake shoes as they wear down ** see pic below.
The adjuster is fitted inside the brake drum, between the 2 brake shoes just below brak cylinder.

THIS IS THE WORM YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT

To replace rear brake shoes removing the drum can be frustrating - look at the back of the cover plate, behind the drum, you will see a grommet. If you look in through this, you will be able to see the adjuster inside the drum & just use a flat bladed screw driver to back off the brakes shoes. (make sure handrake is of first) Doing these will make it easier to remove the brake drum. This adjuster will then automacally adjust when you work the handbrake (lifting lever up & down sevaral times) after fitting new brake shoes. You may find that you will have to adjust to handbrake cable accordingly :wink:

Handbrake cable can only be adjusted at the handbrake lever. NOT at the rear wheels !

As for rear disc brakes, they are completely different to brake drums.

THERE ARE NO ADJUSTERS OR WORMS ON THE REAR BRAKE CALIPERS ! **See pic below, so by loosening then cable thinking that it will self adjust when lifting Handbrake lever up & down, WILL NOT WORK !

To adjust handbrake, Firstly make sure rear brake pads & discs are in good condition & not worn out. Also check both rear handbrake cables for damage including the forward cable
(yes handbrake cable is in 3 sections - N/S Rear, O/S Rear & Centre !)

If everything looks fine, lift up the gator around the handbrake lever, on the left hand side on lever you will find a 10mm adjustment nut.
It is here were you can only adjust the handrake cable.
Tightening the adjustment nut will apply the handbrake, loosening the adjustment nut will release the handbrake ! simples :wink:
2009 Jaguar X-Type 2.0D

IDS & GM GDS2 services

paul2012
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ucmanster » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:47 pm

lightning wrote:Mine's crap.

The day I bought the van brand new I got home and reversed it on to my drive, which is a very gentle slope. I left it with the handbrake on. Half an hour later I looked out of the window and the van was gone, it had rolled off the drive and was in the middle of the road!
I took it back but they said the handbrake was OK, it is better now but cannot hold the van on a steep hill. Well it does, but only just.

I do leave it in gear as well which does the trick. My Kangoo Van had rear drums and the handbrake would lock the rear wheels if you put it on while driving. No way will my Connect handbrake do that.

Hi. Did you somehow solved your problem with handbrake? Because mine is crap too. I replaced cable, disk, pads, and now finaly a calipers. And it is nothing better. :(((((
ucmanster
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Connect