*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Shuddering/vibrations duringbraking.Good afternoon all

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Shuddering/vibrations duringbraking.Good afternoon all

Postby redhillphil » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:23 pm

Good afternoon all. Puzzled of Penzance here.
I have a 2006 Transit Connect which -despite it's age- is a splendid little chap. But (there's always a but) he has a wee problem. When I bought him four years ago he started vibrating through the steering wheels whilst braking. Aha! Warped discs. The discs were duly changed and all was well - for a week. The vibrations started to occur again. Right, faulty discs supplied. Replaced under warranty and off I went rejoicing. The vibration has started again and is getting progressively worse. They've only been on for 28,000 odd miles. My local tame garage man has measured them with his measurer and assured me that the discs are fine.Ooo-err!

What does the team think may be the problem?

Thankyou in advance.
Phil.
redhillphil

Re: Shuddering/vibrations duringbraking.Good afternoon all

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:03 pm

Probably down to cheap Chinese parts, the lot needs going through to see what's worn .
Chinese parts have a habit of only lasting 15000 miles or so.

Could be anything the way you describe it.

Needs proper inspection of all suspension, wheel bearings, drive shafts , ball joints, calipers. engine mounts (NOTE- whenever disks are changed, you service the calipers , whenever pads are changed you service the calipers.(taking slide pins out , cleaning them up and lubing them with special heat proof grease)
Brake fluid has to be changed at least every 4 years

And are you mistaking the so called vibration for ABS acting up.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby redhillphil » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:49 am

Thankyou for you reply. I changed the brake fluid last year.
All parts that I've used came from a Ford dealer.
At no time did I mention ABS.

Wheel/axle bearings have been mentioned although there's no tell-tale rumblings that I can discerne.
redhillphil

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:45 pm

Sorry for the misunderstanding ..i did not say that you were thinking it was ABS , i was saying that all this could be the ABS ..as sometimes there is a fault were the ABS can activate early ..or when it inst supposed to... the result of that would be a sort of vibration ..and a sort of pulsing on the brake pedal, which could be mistaken for other things. if so, the cause of that fault could be relucter rings corroded or magnetic dust under the sensors.

That's one fault amongst a whole host of what it could or could not be

it's all guess work ..i am trying to diagnose remotely here, i have not driven the van, so best as i can do.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Transit Connect