*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

02 lpg/petrol - strange marks on piston - help

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

02 lpg/petrol - strange marks on piston - help

Postby Tempest99 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:00 am

Hi guys, Ive had my 02 plate 2.3 lpg(factory fit)/petrol transit for almost 3 years now, the mileage has just gone over 72,000
Ive had the usual issues with the lpg missfiring, changed the coil packs plug etc regularly, and this year I decided to get it serviced properly by ford (right con there) not going into that except to say avoid guildford ! :?
Anyway running on petrol has always been fine until last week, lpg has always been lumpy when the revs are between 1500 and 3000 revs, but it has always seemed fine.
Problems: had a massive loss of power last week (tuesday) misfire/backfire until it switched to lpg and ran fine for the day, then it happened again on saturday, sunday was ok. so I thought this might be a fuel issue, as lpg seemed ok, monday was lumpy in the morning on both and in the afternoon, once on gas was fine,
(When I saw lumpy i mean under heavy accerlation coffs & splutters and we have a bad jerky ride, gentle I mean just tickling the throttle, it drives ok)
Tuesday eve waited for a mobile mechanic who said he can read the fault codes to show up, he never did, so I did a compression test
pots 1,2 & 3 30psi and pot 4 105psi, which got me a bit worried
Still haven't tracked down a code reader localy and after trawling through the forums I picked up a mini cctv inspection tool from maplins(£90) and removed the spark plugs to have a look, and to see if there was valve marks on the pistons, well as it was about 10pm and my camera not taking the best pix see below...
I didnt find any real valve marks but on 2,3,4 ive got marks almost identical to the picture, pot 1 they seem to be grouped in a circle,
has anyone seen that before?
I've stripped many a head off in my time, but not on a transit, and not looking forward to it as this is my work van, & like the rest of you no van, no money coming in, so all help is greatly appriciated
I have the TIS manual, but sometimes, one needs the haynes book of lies :D
My plan for the morning is to remove the rocker cover and see if there is any issues with the valve springs, & daylight should produce better pix,
Tempest99

Re: 02 lpg/petrol - strange marks on piston - help

Postby MrMPuk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:04 am

The 2 big problems on these are coil packs, which you are obviously aware off and burnt valves. Sounds like the valves to me.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits