*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2007 Mk6 Back battery connections

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

2007 Mk6 Back battery connections

Postby Multiplier7 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:50 am

A noise (and smoke) is coming out from this component (attached picture) on my 2007 Mk6 Ford transit whenever the back battery is connected. I thought the back battery under the seat was just for the starter motor and the front one for everything else. Does anyone know what component this is and what all the components are that are attached to the back battery? (I suspect it could be a diesel heater for heating the back and the smoke exhaust gases, but am not sure) Could the problem be a faulty relay stuck in the "on" position?

Here is also a video of what's happening: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Agg2m_iROav7gbNbQgq ... A?e=PA6fTG

ajAnl.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Multiplier7

Re: 2007 Mk6 Back battery connections

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:00 pm

I think its a heater ..Eberspacher or Websto
These work off diesel ..and are like a miniature space heater

You are hearing the little turbine fan unit within,, there should be a run followed by ignition ..and hot air blown through a duct into the cabin area .

if you don't understand it, leave it disconnected ! as it could cause a fire if it malfunctions, or it is malfunctioning ..which is why the wires are disconnected.

These are often fitted to transits in colder countries, sometimes standard equipment.

You should have some sort of controls for it on the dash to turn it off .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Multiplier7 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:05 pm

Hi Mark,

thank you very much for the reply and clarification. It makes sense that it's some sort of heater because I live in a cold country where the temperatures can be down to -30 C or so. But at the moment I don't have anything requiring heating in the back, and my plan is to build a campervan in the back and install a seperate Lithium Ion battery in the back later with a seperate heater, so then I won't need it anymore anyway, so I will just disconnect it for now and maybe even remove it.

I will check all the switches inside the cabin and see if it has anything to turn it off there. One more question: Is this heater for the back storage section of the van or for the driver's cabin, or both? Does the Transit have a seperate heater for the driver's cabin or will I freeze while driving if I disconnect this one?

Cheers for the help!
Multiplier7

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:29 pm

The last questions i cant answer, as i don't know ..there are others here that have such heaters ..they will be able to answer.

perhaps ...repost start another thread entitled :
"webasto /erbestatacher or standard OE type heater information required"
so that you get the attention of those who know.

there is a separate heater for drivers area ..the erbestatacher / webasto is optional "add on" so you can have heat without the engine running ..and have the van heated overnight so that its warm when you go to it in the morning ...or required for camper van or is, a must have / will be required, as supplementary for using in a very cold country.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby metalworker0 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:25 pm

so you can ID the model

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355407665125?

note: he calls it webasto ..when on the label is Eberspacher

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:09 pm

Multiplier7 wrote:A noise (and smoke) is coming out from this component (attached picture) on my 2007 Mk6 Ford transit whenever the back battery is connected. I thought the back battery under the seat was just for the starter motor and the front one for everything else. Does anyone know what component this is and what all the components are that are attached to the back battery? (I suspect it could be a diesel heater for heating the back and the smoke exhaust gases, but am not sure) Could the problem be a faulty relay stuck in the "on" position?

Here is also a video of what's happening: https://1drv.ms/v/s!Agg2m_iROav7gbNbQgq ... A?e=PA6fTG

ajAnl.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Your thread header mentions 2007 Mk6....it "must be" a Mk7..... Mk6 Transits were discontinued on April 17th 2006.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Multiplier7 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:24 am

metalworker0 wrote:The last questions i cant answer, as i don't know ..there are others here that have such heaters ..they will be able to answer.

perhaps ...repost start another thread entitled :
"webasto /erbestatacher or standard OE type heater information required"
so that you get the attention of those who know.

there is a separate heater for drivers area ..the erbestatacher / webasto is optional "add on" so you can have heat without the engine running ..and have the van heated overnight so that its warm when you go to it in the morning ...or required for camper van or is, a must have / will be required, as supplementary for using in a very cold country.

all the <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">best.mark</span>

Hi Mark,

thanks again for the information. I might start another thread and also might ask how to program them to control what time they come on, etc. (if I don't just disconnect it entirely). Yesterday when I removed the batteries (which by the way is a mission with that battery cover) and tried to turn it on/off again by connecting/disconnecting the battery terminal, it now all of a sudden wasn't starting the heater anymore.

Thanks heaps for the help!
Multiplier7

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:44 pm

Note: before ripping it out ..that a genuine replacement eberspacher kit would be in excess of £5000.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby roviw » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:05 pm

Just a quick message to say that some years ago i also struggled to change the batteries and ended up damaging the cover in order to get it off. However a few years later someone on here mentioned it was so much quicker and easier to remove the actual seat. When I looked into it there were, I think, 4 main fixings holding the seat in place, it certainly was much quicker , well worth thinking about if you ever have to do it again, it really save struggling .
2008 LWB 2.4 140bhp med roof 350 rwd Pale metallic blue fully loaded !
roviw
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits