*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Lossed All Power Steering Fluid mk7 2.2 FWD

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Lossed All Power Steering Fluid mk7 2.2 FWD

Postby Pro-Active » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:56 pm

I noticed today oil dripping down around the o/s wheel area, thought it might be a brake pipe, but check the brake fluid reservoir and was OK, but the power steering fluid reservoir was nearly empty, I think it must be a pipe leaking maybe. Is it a difficult job, as seen videos with pipes breaking off in the steering rack. Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated
Pro-Active
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Lossed All Power Steering Fluid mk7 2.2 FWD

Postby knobby1 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:59 pm

Pro-Active wrote:I noticed today oil dripping down around the o/s wheel area, thought it might be a brake pipe, but check the brake fluid reservoir and was OK, but the power steering fluid reservoir was nearly empty, I think it must be a pipe leaking maybe. Is it a difficult job, as seen videos with pipes breaking off in the steering rack. Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated

If you can find the pipe section which is actually leaking, sometime the FWD's wear through under the mounting clips, the "leaking section" can be cut out and often a pressure joint can be fitted to repair it instead of a complete new pipe...many chaps on here have done it.

Lord knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Pro-Active » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:23 am

Thanks very much Lord Knobrot, is it worth rustproofing the rest of the pipe? Are the pipes prone to leak in other areas?
Pro-Active
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:14 pm

Pro-Active wrote:Thanks very much Lord Knobrot, is it worth rustproofing the rest of the pipe? Are the pipes prone to leak in other areas?

Don't get much rust where I am.. :mrgreen: My 2008 still looks new underneath. If the pipes are that bad it may just pay to replace the whole pipe, not much fun if it lets go whilst oot and aboot.

Might pay to check all the brake lines too, they're susceptable to rust as well.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Pro-Active » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:21 pm

.Ok, had a look under the van today I think it's in the area you said the leak would be.
Pro-Active
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits