*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Smokes when hot and smells of diesel

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Smokes when hot and smells of diesel

Postby C-raig » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:19 am

Hi all,

Bought my 12 plate transit May 23 and initially had engine light and the cog light come on, took it back and they said they did a regen and it may smoke for a while but will clear and be fine. Now I usually only do short trips and put it down to not doing a decent motorway trip.

Still had the same issue into October and was told that no.3 glow plug needed replacing which was preventing the engine from doing its own regen.

It’s now January 24 and still have the same problem there are no engine lights on, no fault codes yet as it reaches temperature it smokes so bad the cars behind disappear in the mirror!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
C-raig

Re: Smokes when hot and smells of diesel

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:33 pm

C-raig wrote:Hi all,

Bought my 12 plate transit May 23 and initially had engine light and the cog light come on, took it back and they said they did a regen and it may smoke for a while but will clear and be fine. Now I usually only do short trips and put it down to not doing a decent motorway trip.

Still had the same issue into October and was told that no.3 glow plug needed replacing which was preventing the engine from doing its own regen.

It’s now January 24 and still have the same problem there are no engine lights on, no fault codes yet as it reaches temperature it smokes so bad the cars behind disappear in the mirror!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

What code reader are you using..?? Some of them struggle with the Transit protocols. You don't have to have a fault light on to have fault codes stored.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby C-raig » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:00 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have a cheap one from Amazon but I took it back to the garage yesterday and they plugged it in and nothing came up!

It’s back in the garage on Thursday but I don’t have a lot of confidence in them!

Thanks again.
C-raig

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:37 pm

C-raig wrote:Thanks for the reply, I have a cheap one from Amazon but I took it back to the garage yesterday and they plugged it in and nothing came up!

It’s back in the garage on Thursday but I don’t have a lot of confidence in them!

Thanks again.

Get Forscan and do it yourself...Garages normally just use a generic code reader as it has to be able to do many different makes of vehicles.

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby C-raig » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:55 pm

Thanks again I will look at getting one and do just that, is there a preference on what to go for?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
C-raig

Postby knobby1 » Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:56 pm

C-raig wrote:Thanks again I will look at getting one and do just that, is there a preference on what to go for?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Forscan is our go-to.

https://forscan.org/download.html

There's a list of compatible cables to use too...previously we recommended the Tunnelrat unit but it's not fully compatible with the latest versin of Forscan.

I find the V-Linker works really well.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby C-raig » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:03 am

Finally got the code reader and downloaded the software and there are no fault codes.

The garage did do a regen and it was ok for a couple of days (local trips).

Something that I’ve just remembered it that when I bought the van it went in to limp mode and I had the cog symbol and engine management light come on but it didn’t smoke, the seller said they had done a regen but it might smoke for a bit!

Since then I had a faulty glow plug replaced and another regen but still have the same issue that after 10mins it smokes like mad, so much so that anything behind disappears in the smoke. If you stop and restart it goes away for a few minutes before coming back.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated as I’m losing the will to live with it.

Thanks
C-raig

Postby tranmx2 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:20 am

O Riley DPF yourtube.
Check the DPF vapouriser is not restricted.
Check inlet system for oil/gundge.
Check turbo casset for wobble.
Check oil filler for pulsing/puffing.
SY Diagnostic re' Forscan.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits