*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

problem starting when engine is warm/hot

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

problem starting when engine is warm/hot

Postby Captain chaos » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:49 pm

had to go to the tip yesterday, as usual when i first started the van it fired up first turn, no problem. it ran as usual all the way to the tip. when i turned it off i had to restart straight away as was too far back and it wound over and over for some time before starting and i had to rev it hard, then it was running fine. when i finished, turned the key and temp gauge was just bellow middle as i would expect and once again, trouble starting. this is the first time i have had to start it from warm/hot, every other time it has had at least 30 mins turned off and it has started very easy, so the issue only seems to be when hot/warm. it doesn't use any oil or water, doesnt smoke and both oil and water are clean. seems good on fuel as well. im at a bit of a loss.
its a MK6 2002 1998cc diesel

one started it has no symptoms
Captain chaos
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: problem starting when engine is warm/hot

Postby ropecharrmer » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:30 pm

I've had quite a few hot starting problems over the years with my Mk7. Does seem like the starter motor getting hot next to the engine adds resistance to the circuit and makes it a harder job to get started than when cold.

The main way I've fixed this is generally swapping out the starter motor. If you have a dual mass flywheel, it's known that dust from those can get in the starter motor and cause problems. Also your battery may be on the way out, or there may be a loose or corroded connection somewhere (might be worth cleaning the battery terminals). And the thing that helped me last time out was renewing the injector seals, though if you think she's running ok then that may not be the issue.
2006 Mk7 2.4 RWD
ropecharrmer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Captain chaos » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:39 pm

hi, thanks for the reply. it has no problem cranking and the battery holds up well. once started it drives as usual. when i try to start when warm it cranks for quite a while and then struggles for a second or two and then its normal. when cold the crank to start is instant but when warm its very long and reluctant if that makes sense
Captain chaos
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ned » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:04 pm

I had that issue on my mk6 years ago and it turned out to be the starter motor, new one sorted the problem
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Captain chaos » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:24 pm

ned wrote:I had that issue on my mk6 years ago and it turned out to be the starter motor, new one sorted the problem

thanks for the reply, starter flies over every time quite sure its fine. never happens when its cold , only when its been on a run
Captain chaos
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:05 pm

Captain chaos wrote:
ned wrote:I had that issue on my mk6 years ago and it turned out to be the starter motor, new one sorted the problem

thanks for the reply, starter flies over every time quite sure its fine. never happens when its cold , only when its been on a run

Could still be the starter, quite a common issue on the Transits....if the starter is not at it's best it will draw more current & voltage when warm than it does when cold.... pulling the battery down below what the rest of the engine systems need to live, this leaves precious little for the fuel pump electronics to operate correctly, hence the poor starting when warm. A new or re-con starter often cures the issue.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Captain chaos » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:03 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Captain chaos wrote:

Could still be the starter, quite a common issue on the Transits....if the starter is not at it's best it will draw more current & voltage when warm than it does when cold.... pulling the battery down below what the rest of the engine systems need to live, this leaves precious little for the fuel pump electronics to operate correctly, hence the poor starting when warm. A new or re-con starter often cures the issue.

Lord Knobrot

ok, will look into that. will also post up some vid of cold start V warm start. i have also tried starting when warm with the NOCO 2000A GB70 connected just in case i did have any lack of power. i have a friend who has a recon starter that he never fitted before his van got trashed, is need be i will get him to fit that and try it.
Captain chaos
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Captain chaos » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:09 pm

is the diesel fuel pump mechanical or electric?
Captain chaos
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:52 pm

Captain chaos wrote:is the diesel fuel pump mechanical or electric?

A bit of both really, the mechanical section of the TDDi pump, (in your case with the 2.0L will be a VP-30)... which supplies the high pressure to the injectors rarely fail, it's the electronic bits bolted to them which usually fail..... the EDC and timing solenoid are the most common fail points..

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ant_harvey » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:14 pm

Hi - I think I have the same issue with my van, cranks fine when cold but doesnt always sound like its engaging when up to temp and takes quite a few goes to start, then runs fine. Did you solve the problem? Thanks
ant_harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby savi18 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:01 am

ant_harvey wrote:Hi - I think I have the same issue with my van, cranks fine when cold but doesnt always sound like its engaging when up to temp and takes quite a few goes to start, then runs fine. Did you solve the problem? Thanks

My starts first time when cold but when hot spins over really fast but none starter, if i pour cold water from water hose over injection pump for around 20 seconds it starts first click, have had to do this around 10 times and always starts with the cold water trick, you can give it a go and let us know, my problem seams to be the edc does not like getting hot and cold water cools it down, however when it does start from the cold water trick it runs fine all day 2003 2.4TDDi 90ps rwd.
savi18
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ant_harvey » Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:37 pm

savi18 wrote:
ant_harvey wrote:Hi - I think I have the same issue with my van, cranks fine when cold but doesnt always sound like its engaging when up to temp and takes quite a few goes to start, then runs fine. Did you solve the problem? Thanks

My starts first time when cold but when hot spins over really fast but none starter, if i pour cold water from water hose over injection pump for around 20 seconds it starts first click, have had to do this around 10 times and always starts with the cold water trick, you can give it a go and let us know, my problem seams to be the edc does not like getting hot and cold water cools it down, however when it does start from the cold water trick it runs fine all day 2003 2.4TDDi 90ps rwd.

I will give that a go tomorrow, if it works does anyone know what the solution is (apart from carrying a watering can around!)
ant_harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:22 pm

ant_harvey wrote:I will give that a go tomorrow, if it works does anyone know what the solution is (apart from carrying a watering can around!)

Have you had the fault codes checked..?? You could have a poorly EDC on the pump.

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ant_harvey » Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:28 pm

knobby1 wrote:
ant_harvey wrote:I will give that a go tomorrow, if it works does anyone know what the solution is (apart from carrying a watering can around!)

Have you had the fault codes checked..?? You could have a poorly EDC on the pump.

Lord Knobrot

I have run tests with my ELM 327 and no codes shown for any modules.
ant_harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby knobby1 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:48 pm

ant_harvey wrote:I have run tests with my ELM 327 and no codes shown for any modules.

Using Forscan via the ELM-327..?? Or another program..??

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits