*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7.5 cut out and will not start

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7.5 cut out and will not start

Postby oldyellar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:58 pm

Was parking my 62 reg euroV fwd mk7 today and it cut out, and wouldnt restart! It eventually started and ran like it was srarving of fuel, now it isnt starting! Its been running good however the past few weeks its been cutting out on start up every so often but then firing and running fine. Im going to read the codes tonight.
Any ideas? Ive heard could be the crank sensor or flywheel ect could it be egr related? Im getting fuel to the filter i havent checked if its getting to the injectors
Thanks
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Mk7.5 cut out and will not start

Postby oldyellar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Just been back to the van with a code reader its not showimg any codes. Going to get it recovered home and try investigate the simple things myself. What would be the start? Fuel filter drsin the fuel and try with fresh fuel? How can i check if its getting fuel the the injectors is it just like a old di crack the nut? On the fuel rail though?
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby oldyellar » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Is there a fuel pump on the engine of these? If so how does it run? Off the cam?
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:07 pm

oldyellar wrote:Is there a fuel pump on the engine of these? If so how does it run? Off the cam?

Yes, pump lives on passenger side of cyl head...Euro-5 is a Seimens system, Euro-4 is Denso system.

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... EzMw%3D%3D

What code reader was used..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby oldyellar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:40 am

It was a seally one iirc i got it from a mate
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby oldyellar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:41 am

knobby1 wrote:
oldyellar wrote:Is there a fuel pump on the engine of these? If so how does it run? Off the cam?

Yes, pump lives on passenger side of cyl head...Euro-5 is a Seimens system, Euro-4 is Denso system.

http://www.catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l= ... EzMw%3D%3D

What code reader was used..??

Lord Knobrot

Yes i see now thanks for link
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby oldyellar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:19 pm

Ok took the airbox and the engine cover cracked all 4 injector pipes there was some diesel in the second pipe, turned the engine over with the key and no diesel getting to injectors, tightened then up. Took the fuel filter off abd there was some diesel in it but not alot. Turned it over again with the key and no diesel coming out ouf the filter housing.
Should every time you put the ignition should diesel come out of the filter housing?
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby v8dave » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:11 pm

oldyellar wrote:Ok took the airbox and the engine cover cracked all 4 injector pipes there was some diesel in the second pipe, turned the engine over with the key and no diesel getting to injectors, tightened then up. Took the fuel filter off abd there was some diesel in it but not alot. Turned it over again with the key and no diesel coming out ouf the filter housing.
Should every time you put the ignition should diesel come out of the filter housing?

These do not show deisel at the injectors if you loosen the fittings and crank the engine.
The ecu sees a lack of pressure rise in the rail and stops the pump outputting fuel.

Fuel is only pumped by the high pressure pump and only if the ecu thinks the fuel rail is not leaking.
The fuel filter should be pretty much full of fuel.
You may have a leak, as the low pressure part of the system work by vaccum a leak lets air in not fuel out.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Frag » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:17 pm

This is stage 5 so has a electric lift pump in the fuel tank,
Drop glovebox open and pull it out,on the pillar,left hand side / strut top area,is a yellow rubber button,
See if this will push down and reset.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby oldyellar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:35 pm

v8dave wrote:
oldyellar wrote:Ok took the airbox and the engine cover cracked all 4 injector pipes there was some diesel in the second pipe, turned the engine over with the key and no diesel getting to injectors, tightened then up. Took the fuel filter off abd there was some diesel in it but not alot. Turned it over again with the key and no diesel coming out ouf the filter housing.

These do not show deisel at the injectors if you loosen the fittings and crank the engine.
The ecu sees a lack of pressure rise in the rail and stops the pump outputting fuel.

Fuel is only pumped by the high pressure pump and only if the ecu thinks the fuel rail is not leaking.
The fuel filter should be pretty much full of fuel.
You may have a leak, as the low pressure part of the system work by vaccum a leak lets air in not fuel out.

Thanks for that, did not know that
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby oldyellar » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:38 pm

Frag wrote:This is stage 5 so has a electric lift pump in the fuel tank,
Drop glovebox open and pull it out,on the pillar,left hand side / strut top area,is a yellow rubber button,
See if this will push down and reset.

Thanks For the info Frag ill give that a try and see! Do you know if eu5 rwd and fwd fuel filter housings are the same?
Thanks
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby oldyellar » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:29 pm

I cant for the life of me find a link to the eu5 for the in tank fuel pump can anyone point me in the right direction? My brother had them same problem and he aquiered a second hand one for his van.
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Frag » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:43 pm

The in tank pump will run when you first turn ignition on for around 30 seconds.
Listen under van near the bowl in fuel tank area.

Or find the fuel pump under bonnet,there's a feed pipe (with a schrader tyre valve)
Squeeze in the white clips at the bottom either side and pull pipe off,
Put it in a container and get someone to turn ignition on,
It should fill container quickly,
Key off to stop it.

Removing one of the very top left relays in fusebox underbonnet (has a pic of a petrol pump on fusebox lid)
And bridging the 2 largest terminals will also run the pump...
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby oldyellar » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:03 pm

Frag wrote:The in tank pump will run when you first turn ignition on for around 30 seconds.
Listen under van near the bowl in fuel tank area.

Or find the fuel pump under bonnet,there's a feed pipe (with a schrader tyre valve)
Squeeze in the white clips at the bottom either side and pull pipe off,
Put it in a container and get someone to turn ignition on,
It should fill container quickly,
Key off to stop it.

Removing one of the very top left relays in fusebox underbonnet (has a pic of a petrol pump on fusebox lid)
And bridging the 2 largest terminals will also run the pump...

Thabk you frag
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby oldyellar » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:19 pm

Got the tank off and have a second hand in tank pump tested both off a battery and both are doing different things new second hand one is making a hell of a noise when powered the one off the van is powering and working very faint.
oldyellar
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits