*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Not charging

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Not charging

Postby rgtransittter » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:24 pm

Hi guys,
Can you help? Have you had the same problem?
13 plate, swb 2. 2L Transit 100.
Recently the battery light has been coming on, and a few days later on a cold morning the engine stopped. Called the AA to get it started, but not charging. On AA suggestion I put a new battery on and a new bosch alternator. The battery charge is 14. 8. On tick over with lights, heater and wipers on no battery light. But, if you hold it at 2000 +revs for 3 mins the battery light comes up and stays on. If you could help please.
rgtransittter

Re: Not charging

Postby crapmetal » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:02 am

I'm not sure but my guess would be your battery isn't holding a charge 14.8v sounds a bit high so the AA is probably right. Knackered battery has probably over worked the alternator causing it to fail. I'd get some testers out and check the voltage when off and when running to give you more of an idea.

A new battery and a new alternator aren't the most expensive things to go but you can always try one or the other.

The battery light doesn't come on straight after start up it takes about 3 minutes like you said, mine didn't anyway and I've just had my alternator go. At a guess for non ford prices it would be about £300 for new parts, I got mine 2nd hand and it cost £120ish fitted with new belts the battery seems ok.
crapmetal
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:40 pm

crapmetal wrote:A new battery and a new alternator aren't the most expensive things to go but you can always try one or the other.

He said he already replaced the battery and alternator....I doubt he wants to do it again.

Easy things to check are ignition switch and earths.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby crapmetal » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:48 pm

So he did I miss read that, my bad.

It still sounds like the most likely culprits so could be a dodgy part I guess. It's no fun finding gremlins like that especially when you've layed out to fix them already!
crapmetal
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby rgtransittter » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Cheers for replying.
I have had a brand new Bosch alternator fitted £300, and fitted a brand new Bosch battery £102. On tick over the battery light does not come on at all, it is only when the engine revs go up. The guy at halfords checked battery charge and he said it was high, but when the engine was running at 2000 revs the charge went down to about 11.7/8,a low charge. Maybe I need a meter of my own to check readings, can you recommend a reasonably priced one?
rgtransittter

Postby crapmetal » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:56 pm

They do a few cheap ones on amazon for about £12 that I found to work well I got one of these a while ago. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00TM0 ... UTF8&psc=1

You will find something similar at toolstation or Screwfix or somewhere like that if you want to just run out and pick one up.
crapmetal
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby rgtransittter » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:41 pm

I will check earths myself when I get a spare hour and try to check the ignition switch as suggested , thank you.
I have never got got anything from Amazon, will try screwfix. Is it a multimeter I need?
rgtransittter

Postby knobby1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:19 pm

11.7/8v at 2000rpm isn't right, something definitely amiss there. Voltage regulator on the alternator not working properly maybe..??

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby rgtransittter » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:36 pm

Thanks, any suggestions are welcome
rgtransittter

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits