*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Locked Out

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Locked Out

Postby hobnobber » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:24 am

Hi,
I've a mk7 350lwb which I'm locked out of, I've been off the road for a couple of weeks now fixing EGR cooler issue and now locked out.
Last Monday someone stole all my power tools from it, but it seems like batteries are flat now and won't unlock. I had key checked and ok, just thought battery in key
might've been flat but its ok. Its deadlocked and I can't figure out how to gain access, I considered breaking window but told by mate this wouldn't help?
So now at a loss, is there any way forward to gain entry or access to batteries? I've had battery charger on it all day yesterday hoping this might put enough in it to unlock but no joy.
Any advice most welcome.
Thanks
hobnobber
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Locked Out

Postby crapmetal » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:25 pm

The key should still unlock the drivers door even with a flat battery unless its overly worn which is quite common but in my experience normally works with a bit of a struggle and a wiggle.

I think the engine bay points only charge the wrong battery for the central locking so that may not help you.
crapmetal
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby hobnobber » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:21 pm

Hi,
Forgot to add that the key won't open it either, I thought I'd try the sympathetic approach before having to start damaging it.
Thanks
hobnobber
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby crapmetal » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:09 pm

I'd keep trying the key and put some wd40 in, they do usually go like I said.

Failing that you need to either break in or you could try looking up if any of the fuses in the engine bay link to the front battery and run power back from there. It shouldn't take much to operate the locks but obviously this is a bit more tricky.
crapmetal
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:17 am

You could try getting a new, uncoded key cut, and see if the door will unlock with that :idea:

If you still can't unlock the door with the key, you'll need to take out the small window (either breaking it or cutting the rubber surround) put the coded key in the ignition, and turn it on. This will connect the batteries together, so if you've charged the rear one, you'll have power to the electrical systems.
It will also take off the deadlocks so you can open the door from inside, even if the fob is still not working.

Note that the batteries will only stay connected this way, for a short time, unless the engine is started :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby hobnobber » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:13 pm

Hi Altransit,
Thanks for advice, I'm taking small window out tomorrow to try what you've suggested. It makes sense now I've realised about the batteries, It's stood for a
couple of weeks while I was trying to sort out EGR cooler then someone stole tools and I think the rear interior light stayed on without realising it.
So I'll update tomorrow

Thanks Again for All Advice
hobnobber
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits