*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Help understanding forscan graphs

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Help understanding forscan graphs

Postby ollyboly » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:37 pm

Hmn, maybe i'll have to repeat the test then and get someone to hold the bloody things on the injectors while the test runs! I only have two hands.

I can pretty much guarantee they'll fail the test though at the rate i saw the tubes filling :(
ollyboly
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby daraioj » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:10 pm

ollyboly wrote:Hmn, maybe i'll have to repeat the test then and get someone to hold the bloody things on the injectors while the test runs! I only have two hands.

I can pretty much guarantee they'll fail the test though at the rate i saw the tubes filling :(
Just gaffer tape the f***ers or find a bit of tubing that fits in the injector. I think it's 5mm. I got some from a gardening store.
But if they leak as badly as you think then it won't matter if they spill a bit.
2010 2.4L RWD 100ps MT75 LWB High Roof
daraioj
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ollyboly » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:26 pm

Just an update, i finally got around to re-doing the leak off test.

To make the kit work, i had to take the little green o-rings from the vans leak off connectors and put them onto the kit, replacing the black ones that came with it. They're a different size.

I tried to google which adapter set was meant to be used with the denso injectors in my van, everywhere seemed to suggest number 3, however i found numbers 1 and 2 worked (they seem to be exactly the same size)

The test went well, however i only managed 2 minutes before the middle-left (if you're looking from the front of the van) injector bottle filled up and I had to turn the engine off.
The other 3 injectors all came out well at around 15ml of fuel, so well within ford specs :) !

This is good news to me, as i originally thought they were all dead, so I'm off to buy a re-conditioned injector and fit it at the same time as new copper seals and clamp bolts.

Thanks for all your help
ollyboly
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ollyboly » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:54 pm

Me again
I bought a re-manufactured injector today and replaces number 2 which was bad. Went well and the engine fired up after a bit of spluttering.
However two things now confuse me:
- I did another leak off test to confirm the new injector was working well, and it was, however now injector number 1 is bad. Leak off test shows: injector 1= 50ml, injectors 2,3 and 4 = 35ml. This is weird because injector 1 3 and 4 were all even on the previous leak off test.
- I re-coded injector number 2 in forscan then tried to do the pilot learn but it failed because the fuel rail pressure was > 10bar different than the desired. Desired is 230 bar, but i was getting 600 bar.

Previously, with the bad injector number 2 in there, the pilot and pump learns completed without a hitch.

Any ideas why?
IMG_20190102_172812684.jpg

IMG_1037.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ollyboly
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby v8dave » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:31 pm

Fuel pressure at idle ?

Having changed an injector I would,
1) code the new injector ( but if it is a rebuilt injector the original code on the socket is meaningless )
2) do the pump learn
3) do the pilot learn

If the rail pressure is 600bar at idle then that suggests the scv is not working, so the pump learn will fail.
But try the pump learn before condemning anything, the reduced leakage through a better injector has probably made the learnt pump values wrong.
mk7 08reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD
mk6 X reg 2.4 T350 LWB MHR RWD - scrapped
mk4 J reg 2.5 L300 LWB MHR RWD - sold on

Notice a trend there ? not too big and not too small
v8dave
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ollyboly » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:04 pm

Yeah fuel pressure at idle.

I put the code on the injector into forscan - but good point - what are you supposed to do with remanufactured injectors??

So today I did a pump learn and it completed successfully. However, when I tried to do a pilot learn afterwards, it wouldn’t start as DTC 1250 was present saying the actuator on the SCV was stuck… this must be why the fuel rail pressure was so high previously.

I googled and found this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55984
* P1250-71-XX: The status byte 71 indicates the SCV has seized resulting in a loss of fuel rail pressure control; this is normally due to sticky residue or fine particle contamination from the fuel. Inspect the fuel quality and if needed clean and flush the low pressure fuel system. Once the fuel system is clear of contamination the SCV must be replaced and if the issue was severe the PRV may be replaced. For additional information, refer to Transit 2006.5 Workshop Manual Section 303-04.

I turned the van off and on again and checked the rail pressure but somehow it’d gone back to normal, and was sitting happily at ~230 bar. With this info I reset the fault codes and did another pump learn. This was successful. So I did a pilot learn. That was also successful. Weird. Is my SCV on the way out?

I then re-did the leak off test and things look much better, however injector 1 is still noticably higher than the rest.
1= 28ml, 2=22ml, 3=23ml, 4=25ml
ollyboly
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Chug » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:43 pm

Sounds like SCV or wiring is playing about with the fuel pressure readings changing like that, but at least your injectors are within the 40ml, or is it 45ml? tolerance now.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Previous

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits