*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

fluctuating temp gauge

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

fluctuating temp gauge

Postby Aspencade » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Hi My temperature gauge has started to do strange things when warming up on a run it will go up to around 1/4 of the way then drops then goes up to normal temperature. If I stop in traffic it goes down again to 1/4 on the overrun it will drop to 1/4 then back to normal under load. Can anyone tell me the likely problem if there is one ? The heater blows hot or cold as normal. 2008 MK7 with aircon. :?:
Aspencade
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: fluctuating temp gauge

Postby ake » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:18 pm

Sounds like the thermostat may be failing.
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby cowen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:17 pm

Second that sounds like thermostat needs changing
cowen
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Aspencade » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:31 pm

where's best to source a thermostat
Aspencade
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby cowen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:42 pm

Euro carparts should sell them or any motor factors
cowen
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Aspencade » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:23 pm

So I will need a thermostat and coolant does anyone know if the triple Qx coolant from euro car parts is OK?
Aspencade
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:43 pm

Aspencade wrote:So I will need a thermostat and coolant does anyone know if the triple Qx coolant from euro car parts is OK?

If it's red, not blue
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Aspencade » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:02 pm

ake wrote:
Aspencade wrote:So I will need a thermostat and coolant does anyone know if the triple Qx coolant from euro car parts is OK?

If it's red, not blue

yes its red although halfords do a red OAT one as well. S basically if its red its OK?
Aspencade
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:28 pm

Aspencade wrote:
ake wrote:

If it's red, not blue

yes its red although halfords do a red OAT one as well. S basically if its red its OK?

Pretty much, yes
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Vee4 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:54 pm

I'm interested to hear if the OP (Aspencade) solved the problem. The Ordinary Van has been having a similar problem for more than a year now. I took it to the dealer for them to check and, of course, they could not duplicate the fault. I told them to replace the 'radiator thermostat' anyway and they also replaced the oil-cooler thermostat, all to no avail. In the end, I just gave up and got used to it.

When new, the gauge went smartly to 'TDC' and stayed there. Now, it never goes above that point so I'm not concerned about overheating but the gauge is up and down like the proverbials and is about as much use as the other proverbial.

I'm asking because I have a few other out-of-the-Ordinary problems which I'm planning to have checked by the dealer, and they are the kind of things that will never happen while they are testing. You need to be out all day in the van with me to see the problems.

The trail of rusty water is getting worse by the month ...
'69 Mk1 V4 :) >> '76 Mk1 V4 :) >> '84 Mk2 OHC :wink: >> '97 Mk5 Banana :D >> '09 Mk7 TDCi 8)
The van in front is a Transit. It might be my Mk7 - follow the trail of rusty water: Diary of an Ordinary Van
Vee4
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Aspencade » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:09 pm

Hi I replaced the thermostat and thermostat housing but it is still doing the same I now just ignore it it never goes above the half way mark so does not over heat. I think the fault lies with the electric fan which seems to come on randomly
Aspencade
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Vee4 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:03 pm

Thanks, Aspencade. It sounds as if you have the same problem. I am planning to have the dealer look at it again and if there is a solution, I will post it here. I have had no effect on performance or fuel economy, and the cab heater temperature is always as expected, which implies a gauge or wiring fault, or possibly a sensor. On the latter point, it would be interesting to know if the temperature data read by the ECU corresponds with the gauge reading since that would narrow down the possible location of the fault. Does anyone know of a simple way to do that - presumably a small OBDC reader of some kind?
'69 Mk1 V4 :) >> '76 Mk1 V4 :) >> '84 Mk2 OHC :wink: >> '97 Mk5 Banana :D >> '09 Mk7 TDCi 8)
The van in front is a Transit. It might be my Mk7 - follow the trail of rusty water: Diary of an Ordinary Van
Vee4
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Vee4 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:35 pm

I picked up the Ordinary Van today from the dealer. They replaced the cylinder head coolant temperature sensor (1770525) and carried out a PCM update and calibration.

On a test run, the temperature gauge reading was back to normal (i.e. goes to centre and stays there) and the noisy tickover with occasional speeding up was not experienced. Time will tell. They also told me that the update will fix the occasional unprovoked ESP activation. Again, time will tell.
Vee4
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby littlespoon » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:12 pm

Hi i knows it’s an old thread, but did the esp light coming on affect the temp gauge or visaversa?
Was the problem solved in the end?
Cheers mate, got a similar issue
littlespoon
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Jay131278 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:40 pm

Hi. Just posted my own issue and it's same as this. Esp light and cooling fans come on.
Any solutions yet?
Jay131278

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits