*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk 6 cheap flasher unit fix.

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk 6 cheap flasher unit fix.

Postby andypdq » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:19 pm

The flasher unit on my 54 plate Mk 6, 90 T350 was duff, hazzards worked, indicators didn't. I spoke to APH who talked me through the process of identifying which system was fitted to my van, thanks again sir! It turned out I had the "simple" version, one flasher unit with five terminals. Flasher unit is vehicle specific and only available from Ford at the bargain price of £45 ish :shock: , I didn't wait to hear whether that was including VAT or not :lol:

I had a few old three terminal flasher units lying around, so thaught I'd have a go at seeing if I could make one of those work. These are fitted to virtually everyting old and are available for a pittence.

To cut a long story short:

Instructions:

1 To terminal 31, connect black wire.

2 To terminal 49, connect orange with blue trace wire.

3 To terminal 49a, connect both blue with red trace wire, and green with red trace wire.

4 Leave the green with blue trace wire off.

5 Buy yourself 2 cases of beer with the £45.00 you just saved :mrgreen:

This has worked perfectly for the last two months including trailer towing.

Andy.
The first Mk 6 mechanical TDDI, giving electronics the finger, since April 2013

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNypVH ... dKUN5eJDyQ
andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Mk 6 cheap flasher unit fix.

Postby APH » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Result, well done, and glad to have helped out a bit 8) :D

Your like me, take it appart and try and fix it, rather than repalce it. Jut make sure your 3 pin unit is rated for full hazard load, as not all are, and used to use one for fashers, one for hazards. Have never realy seen the requirement for electronic flashers whe using normal bulbs, although they work better for tel-tail monitoring of towing sockets etc. (which we NEVER follow the EU rules for when a socket is just spliced into rear lights, and an add on buzzer module is not compliant either :roll: )

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andypdq » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:15 pm

I left the green and blue wire off, but if you connect it to the 49a terminal with the other two, the immobiliser led flashes in time with the indicators. I'm wondereing if this is supposed to act as a trailer warning light or something. Don't know how the standard setup behaves as the indicators didn't work when I bought the van.

Regards

Andy

Perfection is reached, not when there's nothing left to add, but when there's nothing left to remove.

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby APH » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:21 am

DO NOT connect the green /blue wire to anything, tape it up so it can't touch anything either. It is fed 12v permenant when ignition is on, and was the power feed to the flasher. By connecting to the other two, you are back feeding the ignition and ignition relay when hazards flash, which will cause problems. There is no trailer tow light on these vans as standard. :wink:

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andypdq » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:00 pm

That's what happens when working without a wiring diagram! Both indicators and hazzards work without the ignition switched on. I presume the switched live was for the indicators in the original system, and the permanent was to run the hazzards. I'll see if i can work out how to seperate the two, using two 3 pin units when I have time.

Thanks again.

Andy.

andypdq
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby APH » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:24 pm

Almost, the permenant always fed the lamps themselves, however the original flasher had two seperate "switches" inside, one for hazards one for indicators, the indicators one would only trigger if the unit had a feed on the ignition sense wire.

There is a cheap solution to your problem, utilising what you already did and using any cheap £1.20 automotive relay rated at 10 amps or more. Almost any one form any vehicle will do.

On it you will have 4 or 5 pins, most are only 4 pin, numbered 85, 86, 30, 87 and possibly 87a if used. Youll need a short bit of thin wire too, any size will do even bell wire.

Leave everything connected to your flasher, but cut the green/red wire a few inches away from the flasher, then join each half of the wire to pins 30 and 87 (either way round), so it goes from the flasher in to one pin of the relay then off to lights from the other pin.

Link a bit of wire from pin 85 to the black and blue wire on the flasher, and finally connect the floating switched feed wire green/blue to pin 86. If it had a pin 87a..don't use it for anything.

Thats it. Now the hazards will work all the time, and the indicators will only work with ignition on :wink:

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Cowboy711 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:00 am

I'm a little confused as I think my mk6 has 2 indicator relays??
1 in the relay box and 1 under the steering colum?
Cowboy711
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby APH » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:29 am

There is only ever 1 flasher relay, however on some vans there can be 2 or 3 normal relays in a seperate box in the engine bay, used to operate the flasher relay..all to allow a factory fit towing socket. Most of the early vans x reg to about 52 had the extra relays as standard, after that they where never fitted unless you got a factory tow socket.

Most of us have the simpler type of set up, where the flasher relay under the dash goes to hazrd switch or indicator stalk, then out to bulbs..nothing else in circuit, however if you have the set up that uses the extra set of relays, it then gets much more complicated, and is known to cause problems. Usually due to corrosion / loss of power at the outside relay box, as it gets wet when you top coolent orwashers up. :roll:

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby gemkat » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:57 pm

HI all, reading the above i have a similar problem, though the other way around, i have full working indicators, but no hazards, the strange thing is, as follows.....

if i pop the hazard switch i hear a single click from relay under dash , but no hazards, if i then use indicator stork to turn left or right they ( hazard lights ) start working

would this also be down to the relay APH ? or somethign different, the vehicle is a wheelchair accesable minibus, which i dont think makes a differfence, it wont ever have a tow bar , and has standard 6 indicators, 2 front 2 side( wing ) 2 rear

any advice greatly appreciated as above dont want to have to buy a full ford replacement if theres a work around

thanks
gemkat

Postby knobby1 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:11 pm

gemkat wrote:HI all, reading the above i have a similar problem, though the other way around, i have full working indicators, but no hazards, the strange thing is, as follows.....

if i pop the hazard switch i hear a single click from relay under dash , but no hazards, if i then use indicator stork to turn left or right they ( hazard lights ) start working

would this also be down to the relay APH ? or somethign different, the vehicle is a wheelchair accesable minibus, which i dont think makes a differfence, it wont ever have a tow bar , and has standard 6 indicators, 2 front 2 side( wing ) 2 rear

any advice greatly appreciated as above dont want to have to buy a full ford replacement if theres a work around
thanks

Thread is 11 years old...best you start a new thread with your issue as it will tend to get lost in old threads.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits