*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

hpu asm durashift help please please please

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

hpu asm durashift help please please please

Postby transit 02 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:47 am

can someone tell me if i can remove the electric motors from the hpu in situ or have to disconnect from the hydraulics

van is a 2003 diesel fitted with asm trans

and where i can some info on this procedure please

i have search the fourm on this subject but it just goes round in circles without an out come
transit 02
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: hpu asm durashift help please please please

Postby AndyG » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:31 pm

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=103779 :?:

And when you do it, (as there's not many of these where the owner dare try and fix it themselves :lol: )
Perhaps you can take some pictures :idea:
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby transit 02 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:08 am

andy
thanks for the prompt reply
photos no problem

i would like to know if you can remove the electric motor from the alloy casing as i can see 3 torx screws holding it in

if i remove the motor in situe will fluid leak out

i did see a post with a pic of the motor removed but i cannot find it again

or a extract from the manual would also help

cheers mike
transit 02
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby madparaglider » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:01 am

I am going down the same track. My transit is sitting in my yard and I am reluctant to try and drive it too far. I have found a firm who will do the motor but need to know if I can remove insitu. Any help would be appreciated. Information available seems non existent.
madparaglider

Postby madparaglider » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:18 am

OK I have found that the motor can be quite easily separated from the pump in Situ. There is no possibitily of fluid escape otherwise you pump will be seriously defective. It helps to remove the front wheel to give better access. The only snag I have come up against is freeing the electrical cable which is moulded into a rubber block and seems to be secured in some way to the pump body or the mounting bracket :( , so far I can't shift it. If anyone knows how the rubber block is secured that may help me to release it.
madparaglider

Postby AndyG » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:04 am

Plugs normally have some sort of clip that needs pressing/squeezing before you can pull them off :idea: Have you got any pictures of these plugs :?:
The TIS disc (now I've got mine working again) may help, but need to know what you're looking at :)
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
AndyG
Site Admin

Postby transit 02 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:18 pm

madparaglider wrote: The only snag I have come up against is freeing the electrical cable which is moulded into a rubber block and seems to be secured in some way to the pump body or the mounting bracket :( , so far I can't shift it. If anyone knows how the rubber block is secured that may help me to release it.

UPDATE

the vans fault was no drive out of the transmission and you could not hear the trans shift into gear

then it would not start - would not turn over- thats when i learnt about the motor noise not happening when open the drivers door - after tapping it i manage to get it to run

these seam to fail around the 200 000km mark

so it took a bit of research and motivation and had a win

madparaglider - correct about the motor cable as i had the same trouble
i removed the 2 torx bolts opposite each other to withdraw the electric motor from the pump

i then removed the mounting plate from the pump which is held by 2 x 6mm bolts and a mounting bolt from the steering to k frame and also 2 x 6mm nuts

then you can see 2 more torx srews that hold the motor cable to the pump- remove them - undo the cable plug and then withdraw the motor out

no i have done one i just took my mates one out in less than 30min

theres a little coupling drive from the pump to the motor- just remember that

i had my motor rewound with new brushes - total price of the whole job cost me $265

fitted the motor and the van drive great

new hpu from ford excess of 7g

a recon hpu from recon center on the east coast of oz wanting 3.5g

plus bleeding of the transmission which did not have to touch

if i have trouble in the future on the asm trans i would consider removing the asm unit from the box and converting into a manual shift clutch like someone else explained on the forum

just would like to say a big thanks for the forum to help guide those that would like to have a crack at repairs
transit 02
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby fumbduck » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:53 am

Thanks for that detailed description transit 02,
Had exactly the same problems as you described and removed the electric motor from the pump.
But upon testing with 12 V power it seems the motor spins fine. So maybe something else at play for me. Did you try and test run your electric motor after removal if it would spin?
Wish there was a checklist I could follow. Unfortunately TIS doesn't cover ASM at all neither does the Haynes manual.
I've tried reading the codes with Fordscan but have not been able to connect. I get connection failure everytime.
In the past I've had no trouble connecting (using F Super OBD II reader) and reading fault codes.
Also I seem to have 2 OBD plug connectors on my steering column. The lower black one is free but the red one above it has a connector plugged into it.
Can't remember which one I was successful with in the past to read codes.
Another odd thing that has occurred for which I have no explanation is that before I started working on anything I gave it a good degrease the night before and hosed it off.
After that I had another go at trying to start the engine and after a few goes I actually got it started! But there was no response to the accelerator pedal.
The next day I noticed engine oil had leaked out (about a cup full) over the piece of board I used to lay on under the van. No idea what the cause of this oil leak is or if it is at all related and I can only assume it happened while I had the engine running (idling).
2004 VH Transit 125-330 ex postie van
fumbduck
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ossie cossie » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:22 pm

worth remembering this thread for issues with my ASM
ossie cossie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby WheelyBigBox » Sun Nov 29, 2020 2:25 am

fumbduck wrote:Had exactly the same problems as you described and removed the electric motor from the pump.
But upon testing with 12 V power it seems the motor spins fine.

Electric motors can still spin even though they're borked. In a HPU i would expect them to spin rather quickly too so if it's spinning but not overly fast it's knackered.

I have a rear wiper motor on a car that has a burnt motor, it still moves the arm, just very slowly.
2002 Mk6 2.4L T330 (Turbo) 90HP with Auto gearbox / clutch / shifter.

Also has a built in brown trouser momenter due to the novel rear suspension and a "this'll cost a lot to fix" thought generator :!:
WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ossie cossie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:32 am

I bought a manual from ebay on the MK6 transit and it has over 3000 pages and in it 56 pages on the ASM box i have printed them out hopefully i can load them onto a flash drive and up load somewhere, this may help someone.
ossie cossie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby 61dub » Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:49 am

Ossified Cossie, do you have a link to the manual you bought please?
61dub
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ossie cossie » Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:41 pm

eBay item number:254381787766 this is the one i bought
ossie cossie
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby 61dub » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:35 am

thank you!
61dub
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby WheelyBigBox » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:08 am

thanks from me too!!!
2002 Mk6 2.4L T330 (Turbo) 90HP with Auto gearbox / clutch / shifter.

Also has a built in brown trouser momenter due to the novel rear suspension and a "this'll cost a lot to fix" thought generator :!:
WheelyBigBox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits