*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 Euro 5 engine gone bang!

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 Euro 5 engine gone bang!

Postby wardus212 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:17 pm

My Mk7 Euro 5 transit has finally give up the ghost... Or has it?

I was driving home yesterday when my van cut out, there was a loud knocking sound prior to it cutting out. It's a 2012 euro 5 FWD. It's got 260K miles on it and this is the first engine issue I've faced

On further inspection I have found 2 broken rocker arms, and after using a bore scope I can see the are 2 valve indentations on the pistons for cylinders 1 & 3

It's never had a timing chain as far as I know so I'm wondering if a chain tensioner has failed or skipped a tooth. There was no rattle from the chain

The question I have is, would the piston bend the valves on impact? Or would the conrod/bottom end take the impact and be damaged there instead? I don't know if it's best to strip the head off, repair any bent valves and re fit (including new chain kit) or.. option 2 stick a recon engine in?

Any help would be massively appreciated
wardus212
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk7 Euro 5 engine gone bang!

Postby tranmx2 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:55 pm

The valve indentations are likey to have 4 hot spots on the piston concavity edge - which could burn away - could cause preignition.
A compression test could show if the valve head is bent on the stem. Valve not seating.
The piston valve indentations are going to be on one side of the piston.
Could be damage to head gasket, bore, piston, small end, con rod, big end, cam shaft lobe, gear train.

If you have the time and money etc take the eng out and dismantle it. Replace/repair as required. Vids on youtube. Salvage rebuilds, Bodge it and leg it. others.
Recon eng about £3500. Dealer replacement £5500 - take off all the peripherals from the old and put on the new unit.
Need to get the same or similar engine code.
My original engine was DRRB recon CYR5. The HP is achieved by altering the PCM.
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby wardus212 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:07 pm

Thanks for your reply. I would love to strip it myself and rebuild it bit unfortunately I don't have the time to do it

Which regards to the different engine codes, are all the euro 5 FWD engines the same but just have a different bhp built into the pcm? My current model is 125bhp CYFB. If I was to buy a complete engine under 100K miles with all auxiliary's, which code would be the 140 hp? I'm thinking upgrade the bhp while I'm there as long as its compatible
wardus212
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby tranmx2 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:46 am

The DRRB was shown as 100 HP. The CYR5 as 125 HP. The info' is that the HP is achieved by altering the PCM. Therefore all engines are made mechanically to the standard required for a 2.2 ltr 150 HP or whatever the max HP is.
So why have different codes for different HP?
There is seemingly a 3.2 Ltr engine as well.

I did not choose the CYR5 it is what the recon' garage sent. What the settings of the (vans) engine PCM are I don't know. The CYR5 works with the PCM (peripherals) etc from the DRRB.
Some recon' companies list the compatible engines re' codes. You'd need to search the internet to find which engine code applies to what you want.

I had the impression that the PCM could be changed with Forscan but that does not seem to be so. Forscan can alter some of the settings in the BCM. Forscan live data is good for seeing what is happening but it does not seem to show all the data that may be required. There's abreviations that seem to have no explanation of what they represent. Moving the cursor over the cells a note appears with some info' but one needs to know the info' and what it actually means.

Replacing the complete engine including peripherals with a used one could work - how are you going to know the replacement engine and its peripherals are good?
2012 MK 7 E 5 100-350 3.5 XLWB RWD Duratorq 2.2L CR TC 14 DSL 100/125 PS E5 DPF BCM PCM RCM
Was DRRB 74 KW 100 HP 100 cv. Now CYR5 125 HP. PCM could still be for 100 HP.
There's more letters after a Transit than a military man :lol:
tranmx2
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby knobby1 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:49 pm

tranmx2 wrote:There is seemingly a 3.2 Ltr engine as well.

The 3.2L 5 cylinder Transit engine is Euro-4 only.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby wardus212 » Sat May 04, 2024 1:57 pm

I just thought I would update this post incase it might help other transit owners

When I removed the rocker cover I found 2 broken rockers, this also caused damage to the exhaust camshaft as shown in the photo I have attached

I see another transit user on here that had the same issue, maybe it's a common problem with the higher mileage engines (260k on mine)

A new rocker ladder and exhaust camshaft are now fitted and it's running great. Only cost £400 in the end. Rather than £2K for another engine, or £1600 for a recon

Timing was all correct and no damage to the piston, plus no bent valves. Happy days!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wardus212
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits