*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

no power after attempted radio change - help

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

no power after attempted radio change - help

Postby Niccapotamus » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi Folks
After your help on question no 1 I managed to sort out my windscreen washer electrical issue :)

thinking that made me a pro, i thought i'd change the old radio for something a bit better with an aux lead so i didn't have to listen to the blood archers on radio 4.

mistake no 1.

it's a 1996 transit. So i stuck my radio removers in and it wouldn't budge. So then I took out the ashtray to try to remove the little compartment under the radio - but that didn't get me very far so i then gave the radio a bit more of a yank, the fascia (the radio/black bit with the clock in it moved about 3 inches and the radio shifted. Happy days I thought.

now I have no power - no heater, no central locking, no ignition, no lights, nothing.

any ideas. bloody thing. i've done loads of car radios over the 50 odd years of life and not an issue except my crap wiring of speakers with choc connectors when I was in my teens

dead as a dodo.

thanks

nick
Niccapotamus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: no power after attempted radio change - help

Postby Niccapotamus » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:51 pm

slight update. had another look.

something weird. so immobiliser light not flashing. no ignition or fans etc.

interior lights are working as is central locking but after opening the central locking then they go and lock again straight away? odd . so there is a degree of power.

i wonder if it's something to do with the immobiliser?
Niccapotamus
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby W287PCJ » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:52 pm

Have you checked your fuses?
Owner of a very sorry and very rotten 2000 Reg Smiley been in the family over 10 years. Been off the road parker up since 2010 (Outside :shock: )
W287PCJ

Postby Chug » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:07 pm

It sounds like your attemps to remove the radio have pulled the wiring behind it in the dash and maybe caused a short or pulled a wire out.

Did you actually swap the radio and lose power, or just heave at the dash and loose power?
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits