*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New member needing some advice.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

New member needing some advice.

Postby Shane'n'Sarah » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Hey guys, have been a member for a while but this is my first time posting. I am repairing and converting my mk5 hi cube minibus to a camper. Already have the paperwork back from DVLA with it changed from mini bus to motor caravan. I am now sorting stuff out for an MoT test and have a couple of issues.
It has had an engine change from TD to a banana. The engine management light is on and I have been told that it is because of the engine change and it is possible to 'jumper' one of the unused connections under the bonnet to turn it off. However I can't seem to find info on this anywhere. I am hoping that one of you clever people will be able to help. :)
Also it doesn't seem to have original wing mirrors, having long stem, heated, electric ones. Neither side has glass in to make a comparison. And the ones parts shops and the like sell for it don't fit. I have done some research and it looks like they are mk3 ones? Would anyone know if this is correct?

Thanks in advance, Shane.
Shane'n'Sarah

Re: New member needing some advice.

Postby MinorMatt » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:31 pm

Just take the bulb out of the dash...

As for the mirrors - electric heated was introduced with the smiley in 1995. There are 2 size mounts for the glass and nobody made pattern ones - so its Ford only
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Noctule » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Hi Shane'n'Sarah

Welcome to the Hi Cube Camper Club :D

Mat and Melanie
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby F111ORY » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:30 pm

Hi, Could you tell me what the advantage of changing registration to camper is and what is involved as my camper is still on the v5 as a panel van.

Thanks in advance.
F111ORY
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Shane'n'Sarah » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi guys, thanks for the advice, and the welcomes. :) As for having it changed to a motor caravan on the log book, it means you can drive faster and cheaper insurance. :)
Took her in for MoT and it failed on front brakes. :(
One of the rubber boots on the pistons of the nearside caliper is torn and was cauing it to bind, etc. I'm having a hard time finding a repair kit in Chelmsford, so if anyone knows where I could pick one up locally or anyone selling a cheap caliper I'd appreciate a heads up. Thanks, S&S
Shane'n'Sarah

Postby Shane'n'Sarah » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:10 pm

Ok, unfortunately the hi-top failed on Monday due to the front brakes. The pads on the offside were perfect but the ones on the nearside were almost non-existent. It turns out it was binding on that side, due one of the caliper piston boots being torn, so I have ordered a couple of repair kits online, which are due tomorrow.
I removed the calipers, stripped em down completely, cleaned em up with a wire brush and kerosene bath. Followed that up with a brake cleaner bath. Masked em up, sprayed em with high temp paint in bright red and they are currently drying in the greenhouse :)
The pistons are all fine, luckily. so just a quick clean on the top and inside for them. Got a new set of pads sitting waiting to go on.
So fingers crossed the kits turn up tomorrow and I might get her squeezed in for a re-test tomorrow afternoon.
I was going to put some before and after pics on but need to go find out how to do that :)
Shane'n'Sarah

Postby Shane'n'Sarah » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:05 pm

Well it never ends. Seems like the nearside flexi pipe has collapsed. New one on order for Monday. Going to buy a Gunson's Ezibleed kit aswell to make life easier. Had one years ago and it was awesome. :)
So its a weekend of lounging around and World of Warcraft for me.
Thanks for reading, i'll update on Monday. Have a great weekend. :)
Shane'n'Sarah

Postby vanfox » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:29 am

If one flexy has collapsed I'd advise changing both. If original pipes they'll be 18 yrs old, last Mk 5s were about 1999 - 2000. Just done mine anyway.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Shane'n'Sarah » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:18 am

Hey Vanfox, Yh we fully intend changing both. We will be doing the back soon enough aswell. Replacing everything over time :) She is really solid underneath despite her age (she will be 22 in Jan) as she was fully undersealed. I am going around the underneath with a wire brush cleaning off the road dirt and puttin new underseal on. She is a long time work in progress :)

Thanks for reading. :)
Shane'n'Sarah

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits