*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

cold start

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

cold start

Postby baxi » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:33 pm

winter is coming - just had a cold snap , 2.5 di would not start , found it easy to take manifold hose of and spray petrol into engine - started straght away - bit difficult on ones own needs two people ? .
baxi
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: cold start

Postby gotgcoalman » Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:31 pm

Engine not turning fast enough?

Load test battery.
clean all terminals and check cables/connections.
or
spray wd40 into the air intake.
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Frag » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:53 pm

Stick 5w30 oil in it if it's not on that already,it'll spin over faster in the cold.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby baxi » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:18 pm

hi , have four of these di transit,s and only one does start in any weather , must admit they are not used every day , find the compression does go down over time , must have owned 20 or more over the years , do not see the point of labouring the battery , starter , alternarter cable ect , it is possible to spend loads of money on them (garages) find it better just to leave them alone , this is not a problem in countries with a milder climate ? .
baxi
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gotgcoalman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:25 pm

baxi wrote:hi , have four of these di transit,s and only one does start in any weather , must admit they are not used every day , find the compression does go down over time , must have owned 20 or more over the years , do not see the point of labouring the battery , starter , alternarter cable ect , it is possible to spend loads of money on them (garages) find it better just to leave them alone , this is not a problem in countries with a milder climate ? .

so from what i'm reading.
If it becomes problematic to start during cold weather park it up and forget it until spring time? :shock:

Don't mind putting a few quid and a few hours into mine to ensure I can use it for work through the winter. :D

Watch for weeping oil seals if you use 5w/30 :idea:
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby wojciech » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Transit diesel 2,5 d/td for good start after cold night should have:
- compression about 28 bar, absolutely minimum 25 bar,
- operational flame start system,
- start motor should work not long, but fast.
Last edited by wojciech on Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby wojciech » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:39 pm

For start motor fast speed it is necessary battery with high starting current, minimum 700A, best solution are two same batteries 2 x 600A. Alternator should be minimum 70 A, older alternator 55 A is too weak for strong winter.
Good solution it is replacement heavy start motor Bosch for high speed start motor with planetar gear (known from latest model 1996 - 2000) - it works much better after winter night - 1105310 (98VB-11000-B3B)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Bosch-Starter- ... 1109529025

My last 2,5 D 70 HP had on the clocks 850 kkm, from the begining on fullsynthetic oil 0W/40 - he started after night -15 C deg. after two -three seconds with broken flame start. Compression to the end was about 30-31 bars.

In Poland we have continental climate with very cold nights, -10 or -15 deg C it is nothing special, sometimes we have in the morning -25 deg C. Without strong battery and good start-motor there's no way for start with 2,5 D engine without towing or bump starting.

By contrast Mk6/7/8 start very good in the worst possible conditions.
wojciech
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby baxi » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:48 pm

wojciech , yes i agree with you .
baxi
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby danielsan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:02 pm

hello yall.
i just brought my 1993 2,5D( it did get a newer engine 2 months ago, possibly younger then 93)transit from portugal to lithuanea and bummer.... cold. :(
Until now it did the starting, but now, not anymore.. ok, battery needs charging, but I also hav e the impression that I am chocking the engine with diesel while starting.. I have had a few starts last week, where it wouldnt start, and have a whitish smoke and diesel smell comion out. I would let engine and start again after 2 hours and boom, it would run. so, my question, why is it choking the engine? what's happening?
And what can I do, invest, so that this trouble will not be frequent thing since its gonna get loads colder here. thanx for any wisdom
:roll:
danielsan

Postby danielsan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:03 am

Hi.. Is it possible the engine gets drowned with diesel after starting attempts? Few times now, cold start led to nothing but if i would go out 2-3hrs later and start, it would go almost from first attempt. Now it got even colder and its not getting any better and in Lithuania winters will get only colder. Its my first time Transit ever, so I wanna find solutions for this. The battery got drained, but I can recharge over night and it is only 1 year old a 1000A, i have a 750A hooked up to it inside the Van. the engine has 170000Km and was recently put in the van, it runs supper smooth and has power..once running :wink:
any more tips?
danielsan

Postby cherniy_chack » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:35 pm

danielsan,perhaps a bad cold start is associated with late injection.
I hope you can do fuel injection yourself a little earlier.
I am from Kiev, we are cold now, and in Lithuania it is even colder.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby baxi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:10 pm

just spray petrol into the manifold saves a lot of trouble .
baxi
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby cherniy_chack » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:42 pm

baxi wrote:just spray petrol into the manifold saves a lot of trouble .

No no!
Keep the motor and its systems in good condition and you will not have any problems with starting the motor to -20 ° C.
I live in Ukraine, sometimes we have frosts below -20 ° C, but there is no winter fuel for such frosts. In severe frosts even petrol cars are standing — for many it is easier to use urban transport.
This is my video, I start up the motor in the cold about -20g C, a little warmer. Thermometer error 3 ... 4 degrees.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KePBUxz ... e=youtu.be
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby baxi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:28 pm

cherniy_chack hi mate , did you film that in the dark ? .
baxi
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kjeles » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:42 pm

Mount an engine block heater if you have access to electricity (220 V) where you are parked.
No more cold starts.

Motor heater1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kjeles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits