*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

cold start problem doing my head in now help please

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: cold start problem doing my head in now help please

Postby gazwood » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:37 pm

well not that cold today and took 4 times to get it started and it has ran like a bag of crap all day.
the first turn it did catch but did not run till the 4th then miss fire.As soon as it did catch the first three times it just cut out.
down the motorway slight miss fire and taping noise around the 70 mph mark and on its way up to that.
also when rev it around the 1000 rpm first gear to build speed up that is when you feel the miss fire and under hard load thinking about it did not think it would come off motorway without green flag.

I want to get the starter done but only when i get this sorted or it will take my new starter out.

start up it looks like white smoke may have hint of blue in it.

not sure what to do a garage will want money to look at it and it could take them hours to find.

it has got to be a fuel or compression problem to do this :?
ford transit 1999 tourneo 2.5 di non turbo manual
gazwood
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby gazwood » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:00 pm

put redex in yesterday today took 5 times to start did catch on every turn but cut out the miss fire not as bad so take it starter motor at the end of its life and blocked injector?
could be just luck with the redex and still going to get valve clearance looked at.

as van was never the same for starting when came out of garage they only did fuel filter valve clearance looking back on it after few hundred miles it started to not be as reliable or is this is this just bad luck garage did say when they did the valve clearance a few were very lose should they have been replaced?
gazwood
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DodgeRover » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:27 pm

Loose valve clearances usually don't cause problems its tight ones that will cause them to burn out.
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gazwood » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:29 am

DodgeRover wrote:Loose valve clearances usually don't cause problems its tight ones that will cause them to burn out.

ok thanks for reply
back to the drawing board then for me.
gazwood
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby DodgeRover » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:54 am

Have you checked all around for air leaks around the fuel filter? Does it have a hand primer fitted at all?
DodgeRover
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Jim Archer » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:02 pm

After it's been stood overnight, drop the fuel filter off and see if it's full. Sounds like you've got an airleak.

You've cracked to injectors off to see which one misfires?

Jim
Mk7 140 Jumbo - Vantunered.
289,000 and counting.
Jim Archer
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Keef » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:32 pm

Jim Archer wrote:After it's been stood overnight, drop the fuel filter off and see if it's full. Sounds like you've got an airleak.

Jim

I agree with the theory but even if there is an air leak how could the filter start emptying overnight?
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby bortaf » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:00 pm

Keef wrote:
Jim Archer wrote:After it's been stood overnight, drop the fuel filter off and see if it's full. Sounds like you've got an airleak.

Jim

I agree with the theory but even if there is an air leak how could the filter start emptying overnight?

The fuel is held UP (remember the filter is way higher than the tank) at the filter by the vacume left in the system when switched off, air getting in will cancle the vacume and allow the fuel to drain back to the tank.
Current fleet
Mk7 transit ambulance
Mk1 tourneo connect
Mk1 Mondeo 1.8 STD
Mk5 fiesta 1.25
Fusion 1.4TDCi
bortaf
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby gazwood » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:39 pm

thanks all for reply
no hand pump on mine.
not opened up injectors yet to see the fault think it is no1.
filter when i went to bleed water out if any in as i opened the tap could hear air in but no fuel came out when i did get it to bleed no water in diesel.
could it be the fuel filter housing then letting air in?

had leak off mod done and lift pump done last year.

if injector at fault is a better make redex type cleaner about i have used forte in the past but it costs a lot of money if it will not work.
what do the trade use can get a new injector for £30 on ebay are they any good?

so far then i am looking at
air in the system,faulty injector,worn starter motor then so here goes
where would the air get in how do i test?
if worn starter motor would it just be carbon bush? have done them on a older transit in the past on a L reg.
gazwood
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Progenator » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:33 pm

You mentioned something about air sounding like it was hissing it when you open the water-drain tap at the bottom of the fuel filter. That denotes to me a problem right there. It could be a blocked filter, but it could also be a blocked inlet into the filter/fuel line. This is a problem I see often on tractors where farmers have muck falling in when they fill up their tank with Diesel, grass, straw and pine needles, anything you can imagine gets into the fuel tank over the years. This then gets sucked up to the intake of the filter and sits there blocking fuel before it gets to the filter paper itself. Well, in fact it often eases off when the engine is shut off such that it allows fuel past to some degree (so it starts), then it blocks totally or partially when the fuel is sucked through. This means a problem that is hell to find unless you know about it and look for it. All you have to do, in theory, is remove the filter unit and visually inspect it and perhaps blow it out with a compressor (too dark and bad angle to check with torch and mirror in-situ usually - I have tried it). But that still leaves muck in the fuel line, and the only way to get it out is to suck the line somehow, or blow it through from the other end (means you have to take the line out of the fuel tank = big-ish job). But to make matters worse, sometimes - million to one chance (but it happened to me on holiday...) a conical pebble had got wedged into the fuel pipe intake *inside* the fuel tank, It couldn't fall out, but it wasn't stopping fuel totally, only partially, until driving, then it would be sucked right in and stop the engine. After stopping, it would fall halfway out (but not right out). I could even blow compressed air down the pipe and it seemed clear enough! I was tearing my hair out with this one till I removed the entire tank and started from square one to find the fault. I'd never seen a cone shaped pebble in my life before until this one ended up in my fuel line. But it does sound to me as though you may have something stuck inside the fuel line or fuel filter unit intake. Run the van from a clean bottle of diesel and see if the fuel pump sucks there and the van runs - then you can trace the problem back. The good news is that generally the muck stays by the filter inlet or at the top end of the fuel line so it can be pulled out/sucked out and is clearly visible if you make a sucking device that allows the sucked fuel to fall into a glass jar. Don't try blowing the line down into the tank to test it, or the muck just comes back later. With some vehicle's fuel tanks you can put your hand over the filler cap hole and stuff compressed air down the fuel return line - enough to flush the feed line outwards with mild pressure.

PARTIALLY BLOCKED FUEL LINE, BLOCKED FILTER INTAKE
Progenator
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby vanfox » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:15 am

Nobody has mentioned the fuel tank vent, on the back of the tank. If this is blocked it will cause a vacuum in the tank and fuel` lines which in turn causes a fuel delivery problem. Been there, got the T shirt. The valve should rattle if you take it off and shake it.
After running for a while take the fuel filler cap off with your ear next to it. If you hear a pop and a hiss of air this could be your problem. The reported hiss of air when bleeding the fuel filter would support this theory.
I believe there is enough fuel remaining in the IP to run the engine for a few mins whilst the lift pump tops up the filter and lines.
The compression seal is another suspect, I had this on a 1999 Di.

(There is a special method to extract a stuck injector involving removing the securing bolt and starting the engine with the injector pipe disconnected and a piece of 3/4" ply over the engine, the theory being the compression will blast the injector out. The ply is to stop the injector going into orbit...ha!)

Running from a clean bottle of diesel is a good test, be aware the lift pump and recirc system back to the tank will drain a 2 ltr coke bottle in no time.

Since the fuel system is under pressure when running, any "air leak" would show as a fuel leak when running.

Try bleeding whilst the engine is running on three. If you get a solid spurt of fuel, no air bubbles, this points to a problem after the injector pipe, i.e. the injector or seal?
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:24 pm

Feb 2015 was the last time the op posted on this thread ,I think his van will have dissolved back to nature by this stage :roll:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gotgcoalman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:43 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote:Feb 2015 was the last time the op posted on this thread ,I think his van will have dissolved back to nature by this stage :roll:

You can't rush perfection :roll:
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby vanfox » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:00 pm

Be interesting to see if he's still on here.

The advise is still mostly valid.
vanfox
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby gotgcoalman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:29 pm

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=82419

Last visited:
Thu May 21, 2015 8:17 pm
Total posts:
208 | Search user’s posts
(0.01% of all posts / 0.13 posts per day)

he hasn't been on for a while.
Must have had 3 years trouble free motoring :D
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits