*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

zodiac mk3 c&p

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

zodiac mk3 c&p

Postby caldwelld » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:56 am

Hi folks, I'm looking for a crown and pinion from a zodiac mk3 to fit into my Mk1 transit.It must be crown wheel 39 teeth and pinion 11teeth.ie 3.54 /1.Have spoken to Ralph Clark and he confirms that this is the only one that will fit in my square axle type 34.It has to be built into the transit diff.Does anyone know where i can source one.Regards Donŕ
caldwelld
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: zodiac mk3 c&p

Postby oldskooler » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:34 am

i have also fitted a 3.54 crown and pinion into my mk2 square axle van...what i actually do is fit the complete pigs head and just swap in the transit centre spool (to match the transit halfshafts) so the pinion height remains the same etc....

the one i used was from a zephyr 6 mk3, same as the mk3 zodiac as far as i know....
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby caldwelld » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:28 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes the mk 3 zephyr and mk3 zodiac have the same diff and have 6cyl.engines. What engine is in your mk2 transit?. Does it handle the 3.54 ratio ok ? My engine is a 2ltr v4. Any idea where i could get this diff? Seems very difficult to find one. Keep an eye out for one for me if you can. Regards Don.
caldwelld
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby oldskooler » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:37 am

caldwelld wrote:Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes the mk 3 zephyr and mk3 zodiac have the same diff and have 6cyl.engines. What engine is in your mk2 transit?. Does it handle the 3.54 ratio ok ? My engine is a 2ltr v4. Any idea where i could get this diff? Seems very difficult to find one. Keep an eye out for one for me if you can. Regards Don.

hi don,...i fitted it originally when i was running a turbo di engine and mt75 gearbox....had a 4.1 diff in it previously which was more or less bang on...

with the 3.54 it was nice out on the open road, but at slower speeds coming into towns and the likes, the diesel didnt like it, and i had to keep dropping gears to avoid labouring vibrations etc...

ive since fitted a 2.9 efi v6 from a mk3 granada, and the van drives sweet as a nut with the tall ratio...silky smooth even at low speeds thanks to the smooth torque delivery of the v6...

id wonder will your v4 engine struggle a little with a 3.54 ratio to be honest...
oldskooler
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 1 & 2