*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Camper Auto to Manual Conversion

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

Camper Auto to Manual Conversion

Postby unixanalyst » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:06 am

Hello again. As I'm sure I've probably mentioned before I've just rebuilt my 2.0 Pinto in my 1978 Mk2 CI Motorhome. While I was at it I fitted a K&N air filter on my Weber twin choke carb and a lovely branch manifold. Imagine how gutted I was when despite running nicely on the drive, it failed to pull off without a lot of coaxing and struggled up the slightest hill at 10mph.

until today!

I got tired of waiting to find someone to tune it for me and decided to mess around with the distributor myself and as I turned it, the revs went higher and higher. I locked it off where it sounded really nice, turned down the idle and pulled off the drive. Now she flies. In fact I think I might have to upgrade the brakes!

Anyway, now I'm thinking that the 3 speed auto box has to be the next thing to go as it won't go over 60mph on a flat road. Ive read loads about the mt75 gearbox but that seems to involve cutting the floor to fit the new transmission tunnel. I don't believe I have that option as the floor in my cab is flat and needs to stay that way so that I can get into the back.

Can anyone spell out what my options are for getting a nice 5 speed manual, or maybe even a 4 or 5 speed auto into my tranny?

TIA x
unixanalyst
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Camper Auto to Manual Conversion

Postby Luke » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:43 am

unixanalyst wrote:I don't believe I have that option as the floor in my cab is flat and needs to stay that way so that I can get into the back.
its not that much higher - you would still beable to get into the back fine :D i'd post a pic but i dont think ive got one :?
but if you want to go manual MT75 is the best bet imo :D
Luke
Site Admin

auto to manual

Postby MRspivvy » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:49 pm

I did exactly this job on my mk2 transit. I agree that the auto box does not suit such a heavy vehicle. I did it the easy way, got hold of a 2.0 pinto and 5 speed from a late mk3 transit. these are not dear as everyone wants the diesel ones. This also enables you to use unleaded petrol without any fears of valve seat damage. mine has the older type 9 box so was a straight bolt in swap although the propshaft needed to be professionally shortened, and you will also need the manual pedal box from a mk2 transit with the matching mk2 clutch cable.
If you dont want to change your engine, you will need to get hold of a manual flywheel, spigot bush and clutch kit to fit to your existing engine. The starter motor is also different for manuals.
MRspivvy
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby unixanalyst » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:39 am

I definately don't want to change the engine as I've rebuilt it so I'll have to keep an eye out for the manual flywheel, spigot bush and clutch kit. What's a spigot bush?

So, bear with me here, if I get a type 9, 5 speed manual box out of a mk3 transit rather than the mt75 that people seem to suggest, does that mean that I won't need to cut my floor or anything? It'll just fit straight in? What's the downside to this type of box and will it make any difference to me in normal running?
unixanalyst
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Luke » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:20 pm

unixanalyst wrote:I definately don't want to change the engine as I've rebuilt it so I'll have to keep an eye out for the manual flywheel, spigot bush and clutch kit. What's a spigot bush?

So, bear with me here, if I get a type 9, 5 speed manual box out of a mk3 transit rather than the mt75 that people seem to suggest, does that mean that I won't need to cut my floor or anything? It'll just fit straight in? What's the downside to this type of box and will it make any difference to me in normal running?
type 9 is a weaker box - rarer too, but it will fit - the stick hole is in a slightly different position but can be done without any welding- the spigot bush is a little bearing that fits in the end of the crankshaft to support the gearbox input shaft - not req'd in an auto - if its not the origanal engine it may allready be in

ive fitted an mt75 without welding the floor in it will fit but its tight - all you need to do is cut a hole for the stick to come through - but its neater and quieter if you weld the gator clip part on too :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby unixanalyst » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:07 pm

Hmmm, so I can fit the MT75 without hacking up my floor but it'll be tight. Tight's ok, I like tight. I guess that just means it'll be an arse to fit.

I also like neat and particularly like quiet. What's the gator clip? Should that come with the box?

I think I'll go MT75 shopping on ebay :)

Thanks for the help.
unixanalyst
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby unixanalyst » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:22 pm

Luke wrote:type 9 is a weaker box

Thinking about it, with the weight of the camper I probably don't want to be putting a weak gearbox in do I?

Is there any difference in MT75s that I should be aware of? Are there different types for cars and vans or are they all the same and I can just get the nicest looking/cheapest one?
unixanalyst
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Luke » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:12 pm

you really could do with someone whos breaking a pinto van - you'll need the adapterplate too - origanally mt75s had a plasic case round - most never get put back on but if you dont mod the floor it wont fit (the cover) thats the reason im modding the floor this time :D

you can see the gator clip part in this pic it is pop rivited on and would drill out easy enough, you can also the hump if you were to fit it :D

there are 2 types of mt75 high and low ratio - i think only the 5th gear is different but i mabe wrong - personally i'd just get any you can - try a wanted on here with a list of all the bits you need!!

and put your location in your profile - it might help you :wink:
Luke
Site Admin

Postby captain hook » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:10 pm

I've got MT75 gearboxes here...

Also pinto adapter plate, clutch and flywheel etc.
captain hook
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby unixanalyst » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:19 pm

What sort of top speed can I expect after I've fitted the MT75 manual? I'm assuming that it'll go faster with 5 gears than it can with the three it has now, being auto. What sort of speeds do people get with their mk2s fully loaded?
unixanalyst
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby rover » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:39 pm

Really depends on what rear axle diff ratio you have too, I did the exact opposite of what you want to do and put an auto-box in my Mk3 that had an MT75,(I used the later A4ld which is just an updated version of the C3) unfortunately I scrapped the engine cos I was fed up of seeing it, even though it was a good engine, I've still got the box if you want it, along with the starter (you will need one as the auto has a different starter!), no Pinto adapter plate though.

My 4.63 diff lets me do just under a ton, I too have adapted a four-branch to fit and its a huge benefit to going up hills even though the acceleration doesnt feel that different, so its more about torque than power but you definately took a step in the right direction there :D

Rover.
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk 1 & 2